Discussion Questions for Gathering At God's Table
- Where and how is self-concern getting in the way of serving neighbors?
The Fourth Mark of Mission
To Seek to Transform Unjust Structures of Society
The Quest for Justice
- Where is compassion moving in your life? What injustice is challenging you to act?
Turning the Tables
- What are you doing to transform injustice in your neighborhood? Your city, state, and nation? What connection do you make with the reign of God?
- Where has creativity helped to heal in your life?
- What borders have you crossed in seeking justice in your community? How has gratitude motivated you?
Minding the Gap
- What gaps are apparent in your community? Where do you need courage to reach across?
Living the Dream
- What part of God's dream for a healed world most needs to be heard in your own context? Where do your own gifts connect?
Enough for Everyone
- How will you help fill the hunger for justice and peace?
Created for Life
- For what special purpose have we been set apart? What gifts do we bring to this journey toward abundant life?
Tending the Vine
- What branches can you see that have been lopped off? How might you and those around you help grafts to grow and heal?
Casting Out Demons
- What demons of injustice need to be cast out in your community? What demons of injustice threaten our larger communities-our nation and our world?
- What baggage needs to be unloaded by our communities-and society at large-in order to break down the prejudice that underlies injustice? How can you personally travel more lightly to come closer to God and others?
Sharing the Wealth
- What are you doing at the very local level to feed the hungry? What can you do at larger scales, through your work as a citizen-in advocacy with legislators, organizing with others, and with your vote?
Living in Joyful Hope
- What signs of hope for a transformed world-both large and small-have you encountered?
The Fifth Mark of Mission
To Strive to Safeguard the Integrity of Creation,
and Sustain and Renew the Life of the Earth
- What bodies are you a member of? Which ones need healing? Where do you see allergic reactions to other members of those bodies?
In the Garden
- Where have you seen the glory of God passing by? What garden are you being called to work in?
Healing the Body of God
- Where do you see the body of God in need of healing? Where might you look for partners in that work?
Transforming the Planet
- What sorts of organizing are needed to address the differential vulnerabilities in our cities? What can you be doing in your own city?
Networks for the Future
- Where are you discovering connections you were unaware of last year, or five years ago? How is that growing interdependence a gift for the transformation of God's world toward shalom? Who needs to be part of your ongoing discovery?