A Word in Season
The Year of Faith: Online, At Home, and On-the-Go
Living Your Faith
Get more out of the Mass. Try these resources:
- Fr. Robert Barron from Word on Fire offers thoughtful audio sermons every week. Check out the entire Word on Fire website for more Catholic content.
- USCCB website lets you read the day's Mass readings, or hear them with the audio versions, plus listen to video reflections on their subject matter.
- Magnificat is a print subscription—or use their app for your smart phone—to access the daily readings, commentary, and morning and evening prayer. Enhance your devotional reading with their Year of Faith Companion.
- Find a Mass near you or when you travel.
Pray More and Increase Your Devotional Life
- Discover the Liturgy of the Hours. Longtime the prayer practice of priests and religious, many lay people enjoy praying the liturgy of the hours in whole or in part. You can purchase a breviary from your local Catholic bookseller, or online, by going to Universalis or the Divine Office. Modified versions of morning prayer and evening prayer are found in Magnificat.
- Receive a plenary indulgence for your religious practice by fulfilling certain requirements during the Year of Faith. Elizabeth Scalia offers understanding on the plenary indulgence.
- Make a holy hour, or go to Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. Find a chapel that offers Adoration here.
- Pray a prayer for the new evangelization.
- Learn how to pray the Rosary.
- Learn how to pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy.
Sharing Your Faith
- USCCB has suggestions for sharing the faith through the new evangelization.
- Go and Make Disciples: A National Plan and Strategy for Catholic Evangelization in the United States.
- Share articles and blog posts from Patheos' Catholic Portal. Bookmark their dedicated Year of Faith Topics Page, or follow it on Facebook.
- New Evangelizers website has blog posts and free resources that can help you make a faith connection with others.
- Amazing Catechists, led by Patheos' columnist Lisa Mladinich, supports those called to the work of faith formation and religious education. Catechist's Journey, with Joe Paprocki, also supports catechists.
- Share religious books with friends and family. Watch for Catholic Books that are offered for review in the Patheos Book Club when you see them suggested here on the Catholic portal. Plus, visit your Catholic bookseller for titles that may be of interest.
- Links to Pat Gohn's archived articles on easy ways to share your faith with others:
Read more from the Patheos Year of Faith series here.
Pat Gohn is a Catholic writer, speaker, and the host of the Among Women Podcast and blog. Her book Blessed, Beautiful and Bodacious: Celebrating the Gift of Catholic Womanhood is published by Ave Maria Press. Subscribe to “A Word in Season” via email or RSS.