|Population (2009 est.)||10,737,428|
|Religious Demographics||Greek Orthodox 98%, Muslim 1.3%, other 0.7%|
|Ethnic Groups||population: Greek 93%, other (foreign citizens) 7% (2001 census)|
|Languages||Greek 99% (official), other 1% (includes English and French)|
The country has an area of 50,502 square miles and a population of 11.2 million. The Government does not keep statistics on religious groups. An estimated 97 percent of the population identifies itself as Greek Orthodox. The remaining 3 percent is comprised of Muslims, Roman Catholics, Protestants, Jews, Old Calendarist Orthodox, Jehovah's Witnesses, members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons), Scientologists, Baha'is, Hare Krishna devotees, and followers of polytheistic Hellenic religions.
The majority of noncitizen residents and immigrants are not Greek Orthodox. Among migrants, the largest religious groups are Muslim, Roman Catholic, and Protestant and their adherents reside largely in Athens. An officially recognized Muslim minority of 100,000 to 120,000 members resides in Thrace. The Muslim community in Athens has a population of more than 200,000 and is composed primarily of migrants from the Middle East and South Asia.