At the recent Mobilise USA event, Tope Koleoso spoke in a seminar about receiving the Holy Spirit. I encourage you to listen to the audio of the session and some notes follow. Other audio is available from the Newfrontiers USA site.
1. The Mandate
- THE WELL John 4:14
- “Receive the Holy Spirit.” John 20:22
- “be filled with the Spirit”, Ephesians 5:18
2. The Means
Jesus is the – Baptiser in the Holy Spirit John 1:33-34 (ESV)
JOHN 7:37 “On the last day of the feast, the great day, Jesus stood up and cried out, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. . . This He said about the Holy Spirit”
3. The Moments
Acts 2:4 “And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.
Peter explains, “This is that”
Their response to the sermon: what shall we do? (Acts 2:37)
What shall we do?
- Repent of your sins
- Be Baptised in water
- Be Filled with the Holy Spirit
- Be Added to the Church
Now when the apostles at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent to them Peter and John,
who came down and prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit,
for he had not yet fallen on any of them, but they had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
17 Then they laid their hands on them and they received the Holy Spirit.
Then they laid their hands on them and they received the Holy Spirit.
So Ananias departed and entered the house. And laying his hands on him he said, “Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus who appeared to you on the road by which you came has sent me so that you may regain your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit.”
While Peter was still saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell on all who heard the word. “Can anyone withhold water for baptizing these people, who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?”
“Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” They answered, “No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.” When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied
What we can learn
- There is a separate event of being filled with the Holy Spirit.
- A distinct evidence of being filled with the Holy Spirit is, speaking in tongues.
- Jesus wanted all believers to be filled
- The New Testament church expected Christians to be filled with the Holy Spirit.
What about me?
- This is for you (John 7:37)
- He is still here – Today, until Jesus comes back
THE BENEFITS …. What can I expect from the Holy Spirit?
- Direct communication with God (I Cor14:1)
- You will be edified (Jude 20), 1Cor 14:4-stimulates faith
- Experience Gods Love like never before (Rom5:5)
- Power to conquer fears and habits 2Tim1:7; IJohn:4:18.
- Demolishes doubt: (Eph. 1:13-14; John 16:13,14)
- Calms inner turmoil and brings peace
- Boldness (Acts 4:8-13)
- Gifts of the Holy Spirit (1 Cor 12-14)
- Prayer – Romans 8:26
- Worship – 1 Corinthians 14:2
How to receive the Holy Spirit
Three requirement (John 7:37-39)
On the last day of the feast, the great day, Jesus stood up and cried out, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. 38Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.’ ” 39Now this he said about the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were to receive…..
Your part to do:
2.COME to JESUS the Baptiser
Why some people don’t receive
- Bad Teaching
- Bad experiences
- General fear of the unknown
LOVE MUST REPLACE FEAR
- Feeling unworthy (Lack assurance of salvation)
- Worry about past sins or habits
Faith must replace Doubt
It is for those who are thirsty
Thirsty – desperate for one thing – drink
Come to Jesus
If any thirst, come to me
He will receive you
By a voluntary act, you will receive within you
Jesus’ part – to give the Spirit
Your part – to actively receive by faith