Twitter totally trumps Facebook when it comes to easily collecting a live stream of posts from people attending an event. You can of course use an existing Twitter account via a smartphone. But did you know you can even start and use a Twitter account via SMS? If you want to share your observations of Together On A Mission with the world, why not create a Twitter account right now? Simply follow the following steps if you don’t already have an account:
- Chose which number you are going to use, for UK networks this is: UK: 86444 (Vodafone, Orange, 3 and O2 customers) or +447624800379. Numbers for other countries are also available.
- Send a text message to your Twitter shortcode or number with the word ‘START’
- Twitter will send you a reply and ask you to reply with the word ‘SIGNUP’ to create a new account. Send ‘SIGNUP’.
- Next, Twitter will ask you to pick a username. Your username must be unique and less than 15 characters. Reply with the username you want (see below for advice on picking a username).
- You will get a confirmation message when you pick a unique username (Twitter will tell you to pick a new name if someone else has the username you wanted).
- Choose a password.
- You’re all set! Send a message and it will post as your first Tweet.
If you already prefer to set it up on the web, there is a page of instructions of how to add an SMS mobile phone to a web-based Twitter account.
Some people are already tweeting about the event, and I have created a simple search. Basically if anyone uses TOAM TOAM11 #TOAOM @TOAM11 or Mobilise in a tweet over the next few days you will be able to read it by following this link to Twitter.