HAPPY 5TH BIRTHDAY PATHEOS! Patheos has asked us to re-post favorite blogs from the past 5 years. Here’s one I wrote January of last year–it’s still true, in fact, now my book on the subject has just released with over 1,000 questions to ask your teenager.
One of the biggest complaints I’ve been hearing from parents recently is, “My kid won’t talk with me?”
I hear it again and again. Parents want to open the channels of communication in the home, but they can’t seem to get more than one word answers out of their kids.
Here’s 12 questions you can ask your teenager, that usually won’t get one-word responses:
- Tell me about the funniest YouTube video you’ve seen recently.
- If you and I could spend $100 today together, not buying anything, just spending it on food or entertainment, what would you want to spend it on? (if you really wanna sweeten the deal, pull out $100 and go hang out with them)
- If you could fast forward your life to after college right now and choose any job for yourself, what would you choose?
- Why would you choose that job?
- What do you think you would need to do this week, this year… to get that job in the future?
- If you could change one rule or guideline in this house, what would you change, and why?
- How would this house change in the next year without that rule?
- What is the last thing you cried about?
- What finally made it better?
- What is the best news you could hear right now?
- What is the worst?
- What question do you wish someone would ask you… and who?
IF YOU LIKED THIS POST, YOU’LL LOVE JONATHAN’S NEW BOOK…