Here are, in no particular order, some recent blog postings and articles in the MSM on the death and/or moving funeral of Imam W.D. Mohammed. (In a one or two cases, the post was very short, so I linked more for the comments.)
- Zahed Amanullah. "The Imam Cares" (alt.muslim)
- Seeker's Digest: "Passing of Imam WD Mohammed – The Death of a Great Leader of Islam in the West"
- Islamicate: "Warith Dean Mohammed is Dead"
- SaqibSaab at Muslim Matters: "Thoughts After Attending The Janazah of Imam W. D. Mohammed" [Reflections by an American Muslim of immigrant background.]
- Rickshaw Diaries: "RIP: Imam W. Deen Muhammad"
- Koonj: "Imam Warith Deen Muhammad: a leader among leaders"
- Just Another Angry Black Muslim Woman? "Death of a Pioneer: Warith Deen Muhammad October 30, 1933-Sept.9, 2008"
- SunniSister: Imam Warith Deen
- ThirdResurrection: w.d. mohammed dies
- Tariq Nelson: "W Deen Mohammed 1933-2008"
- Akram's Razor (moi): "Imam W.D. Mohammed has left us"
- Azhar Usman: "An Apology: Heartfelt reflections on the passing of a legendary Blackamerican Muslim leader" [A must read!]
- Dynamite Soul: "A word about Imam Warith Deen Mohammad"
- Imam Zaid Shakir: "Imam Warith Deen Muhammad (1933-2008)"
- Sisterdoc: "Peace and Blessings Imam W.D. Mohammed-R.I.P."
- The Manrilla Blog: "Imâm W. D. Mohammed and The Third Resurrection by Dr. Sherman Jackson" [A must read!]
Rest of the Blogosphere:
- Mata H at Blogher: "The death of Imam W. Deen Mohammed and 'A Summit on Religious Faith, Torture, and Our National Soul'"
[Talks about how beloved the Imam was in interfaith circles.]
- David Waters: "W.D. Mohammed's Spiritual Maturity" (On Faith, The Washington Post's religion blog)
- Marc Lamont Hill: "R.I.P. Warith Deen Muhammad"
[Interesting reflections on the political consequences of WDM's embrace of religion over ideology for not
only the Nation of Islam but Blackamerican Islam in general). ]
- John Esposito: "W.D. Mohammed: A Witness for True Islam" (On Faith, The Washington Post's religion blog)
- A. Serwer: "W.D. Mohammed Dies" (Tapped, group blog of The American Prospect)
- Michelle Gallardo. "Prayer services for Imam W. D. Mohammed" (a Chicago TV station)
- Margaret Ramirez and Noreen Ahmed-Ullah. "Thousands gather in Villa Park for funeral of Imam W. Deen Mohammed" (Chicago Tribune)
- Margaret Ramirez, Manya A. Brachear and Ron Grossman.
- "Muslim America's rebellious son" (The Chicago Tribune)
- Sophia Tarteen: "Former Nation of Islam leader W.D. Mohammed dies" (Associated Press)
- Niraj Warikoo: "Muslim leader Warith Deen Mohammed dies" (FREEP)
- Patricia Sullivan: "W.D. Mohammed; Changed Muslim Movement in U.S." (Washington Post)
- Time Online: "Imam W. D. Mohammed: influential US Sunni Muslim leader"
- Malise Ruthven: "Imam who succeeded his father as leader of the Nation of Islam" (The Guardian)
- Salim Muwakkil (brief interview on NPR's "Tell Me More")
- A guest book dedicated to the memory of Imam W.D. Mohammed
- An audio recording of the Muslim Journal's press conference
- "This Far by Faith: Warith Deen Muhammad" , an episode of a PBS series on great religious leaders dedicated to WDM
- Taylor Branch: "The Anointed Son: The story behind W.D. Mohammed's
momentous break with his father and his alliance with Malcolm X." (Beliefnet)
- A bio of WDM at an Atlanta mosque.
Please let me know if I've overlooked something worthwhile, folks.
Back to slinging C#.
P.S. I will continue to update this as I find new links.
P.P.S. My apologies for not giving hat tips for some of these. I've looked at so many blogs over the last few days and done so many web searches that I simply can't keep track of where I found what. Feel free to help yourself to mine.