One of my favorite services for both professional and personal use is Group.me, a group texting service. If you have not tried it, it is a game-changer.
- Sign up for an account.
- Create a group and you’ll be assigned a group phone number.
- Add people’s mobile numbers to the group*.
- When anyone in the group texts to that group number, it shows up as a conversation thread among everyone and not separate texts between individuals. (see the convo to the right between my kids and I when I was travelling)
How you might use it . . .
- Staff: for ongoing and emergency conversations;
- Parents: for youth groups, scouts etc. it is great to let parents know when a group is arriving home, communicate pick-ups, etc.
- Family: for ongoing family communication so there are no kids accidently left at school because one parent though the other was going to pick her up. Not that I know that that;s like
- Friend Groups: for conferences or trips where a group of people need to stay connected.
Group.me can be used via a smart phone, sms or online, so everyone can use it. It’s very simple to set up and most folks can figure it it out pretty quickly.
Seriously. Start using this.
*GETTING STARTED TIP: If you are setting this up for your group, be sure to shift to office mode so everyone does not get notified EVERY time someone is added. After you add everyone, switch back and ask everyone to reply at least once. By doing this, people see what it looks like on their device AND they confirm their membership. If they do not send a message with the first day or so, they will be automatically dropped from the group.