25 years ago today (I will always remember the date), I had one of my happiest filmgoing experiences from my childhood as I saw Tim Burton’s Batman on the day of its release. I remember spending that whole summer at camp with everyone wearing the Batman logo ubiquitously used to market the film and kids [Read More…]
Even though I loved the Star Wars prequels, I have also grown to love the attacks on them too (at least those that are funny and insightful, rather than tedious and unimaginative). The latest entry in the anti-prequel canon is part of the great “Honest Trailers” series: Your Thoughts? [Read more…]
This post turned out to be not just a movie review but a nearly comprehensive counter-apologetics case that I intend to refer Christians to in the future. For both those future and current readers, here is a Table of Contents, with links, so you can jump to the section that interests you most if you do not have time to read all ~12,000 words.
2. The Hypocrisy of Christian Statements of Faith
3. Why Leaving Theology Out of Philosophy Isn’t Persecuting Students
4. Philosophy Is Not Authority Based The Way Theology Is
5. The Students in the Movie Already Believed in God
6. How I Graded Religious Students Who Disagreed With Me
7. Demanding Philosophical Reasons For Religious Beliefs Is Not Religious Persecution
8. Arguments Over Cosmology (God vs. Naturalistic Eternalism)
9. Creating A Strawman of Philosophers is a Lazy Copout
10. Why Do Christians Say Atheists Disbelieve for Emotional Reasons?
11. Who Really Are the Humble Ones More Likely to Say “I Don’t Know”? The Christians or the atheists?
12. Why Do Some Atheists Say They Do Know There’s No God? Are Atheists Hypocritically People of Faith Too?
13. If Antitheists Are Bad People, Evangelicals Are Downright Awful
14. If Professor Radisson’s A Bad Guy, The Christian God is the Worst Possible Bad Guy
15. God of the Gaps and the Origin of Life
16. How Science and Philosophy Vindicate Metaphysical Naturalism and the Existence of Religious Scientists Doesn’t Vindicate Theism
17. Why Explaining Evolution with God is Anti-Science
18. Is Philosophy Dead?
19. Why The Film Didn’t Actually Care About Proving God’s Existence
20. The Problem of Evil
21. The Appeal to Need for Absolute Morality [Read more…]
Hug An Atheist debuts Saturday September 14 at 7:45pm at the Roxie Theater in San Francisco as one of seven films in the fifth annual Atheist Film Festival. Imagine you wanted to dispel someone’s phobias about the members of an unfairly maligned and stigmatized group of people? How would you do it? One method is [Read More…]
How’s this for an idea: let’s let the filmmakers be filmmakers and consult psychologists, sociologists, anthropologists, neuroscientists, policy analysts, philosophers, and, well, just about ANYONE ELSE more qualified to answer about the connections between fantasy violence and real violence. [Read more…]
In this post I am going to explore the moral themes from the first two films of the Dark Knight trilogy. This post gives away nothing about The Dark Knight Rises but assumes knowledge of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. In a subsequent post I will explore how The Dark Knight Rises picks up, advances, augments, and culminates these folllowing themes from the first two films of the Dark Knight trilogy. [Read more…]
I just watched Christopher Nolan’s entire Dark Knight trilogy at the theater. In this post, I discuss the quality of The Dark Knight Rises and pay specific attention to how well it handles its broad themes. I reveal nothing specific about the plot. Those who like to go into a movie spoiler free in terms [Read More…]