Anthony Vincent of Ten Second Songs has struck on a novel formula. He has taken Katy Perry’s song Dark Horse and made a version that extremely impressively translates it into the musical and vocal styles of twenty major recording artists one at a time. In order of style they are: Katy Perry, Nirvana, Queen, Michael [Read More…]
This tribute by Alexandre Gasulla stands as a kind of interpretation of Breaking Bad, not just a celebration of it. It is probably watchable even by people who haven’t ever seen the show because they wouldn’t understand the meaning of the scenes they’re looking at even when some of them are technically spoilers. It’s like [Read More…]
Last week Ingrid Michaelson, whose music I’ve loved for a long time, came out with a new album Lights Out. The highly polished pop single “Girls Chase Boys” is a sleek and sexy gender-bending homage to Robert Palmer’s iconic “Simply Irresistable” video from the ’80s. The chorus goes: “All the broken hearts in the world still beat, [Read More…]
This post turned out to be not just a movie review but a nearly comprehensive counter-apologetics case that I intend to refer Christians to in the future. For both those future and current readers, here is a Table of Contents, with links, so you can jump to the section that interests you most if you do not have time to read all ~12,000 words.
2. The Hypocrisy of Christian Statements of Faith
3. Why Leaving Theology Out of Philosophy Isn’t Persecuting Students
4. Philosophy Is Not Authority Based The Way Theology Is
5. The Students in the Movie Already Believed in God
6. How I Graded Religious Students Who Disagreed With Me
7. Demanding Philosophical Reasons For Religious Beliefs Is Not Religious Persecution
8. Arguments Over Cosmology (God vs. Naturalistic Eternalism)
9. Creating A Strawman of Philosophers is a Lazy Copout
10. Why Do Christians Say Atheists Disbelieve for Emotional Reasons?
11. Who Really Are the Humble Ones More Likely to Say “I Don’t Know”? The Christians or the atheists?
12. Why Do Some Atheists Say They Do Know There’s No God? Are Atheists Hypocritically People of Faith Too?
13. If Antitheists Are Bad People, Evangelicals Are Downright Awful
14. If Professor Radisson’s A Bad Guy, The Christian God is the Worst Possible Bad Guy
15. God of the Gaps and the Origin of Life
16. How Science and Philosophy Vindicate Metaphysical Naturalism and the Existence of Religious Scientists Doesn’t Vindicate Theism
17. Why Explaining Evolution with God is Anti-Science
18. Is Philosophy Dead?
19. Why The Film Didn’t Actually Care About Proving God’s Existence
20. The Problem of Evil
21. The Appeal to Need for Absolute Morality [Read more…]
February 1, 1994 Green Day released their classic album Dookie. Before going any further, ’70s punk fans are among the most sanctimonious purists and moralists in all of music, rivaling even the worst religious people in their self-righteousness, so if they show up in the comments section decrying the abomination of Green Day’s mainstream power [Read More…]
This is a nice video which sets visual images to a bit of monologue from Ira Glass where he is talking about how creative people’s own good taste often discourages them while they are in the early stages of honing their craft since they are better at seeing what is wrong or limited with what [Read More…]
In November, Bob Dylan’s legendary song “Like A Rolling Stone”, received its first official video and it is a masterpiece and innovation in the genre. The video has a fascinating interactive feature that lets you change the channels you are watching. Each channel you play features people on real and imagined TV shows mouthing the [Read More…]
What Happens When You Take Away The Glossy Effects and Just Let Pop Stars Sing. The Results Will Change The Way You See Them Forever.
Sometimes there are real artists underneath all the autotuning and banal vocal constrictions of the pop medium. It can be revelatory when you take out the slick production and just let them perform in a stripped down way. Listen to this ear-opening performance by One Direction for example: I’ll never hear these guys the same. [Read More…]
The tl;dr of the video and post below is simple. If you want to support and see all the content from your favorite websites and blogs (and I’m hoping that includes Camels With Hammers), you have to use an RSS or make stopping by directly part of your daily routine rather than passively wait for sites like Facebook to show you when there are updates.
I’ve been informed that if you go to the pages you want updates from there is a way to select to get notifications. I am told if you do this, you will get the same sorts of regular and automatic notifications as though you had subscribed to a thread. So please do that for your favorite Facebook pages if you want to still be updated through Facebook. But still that won’t always work when there are many updates to keep up with so remember still to actively visit sites.
This is an excellent video explaining how and why Facebook is now making it so that you won’t see in your feed the content from a lot of pages you liked. [Read more…]