I was cleaning out some old files this morning and found these notes from a motivational seminar I attended back when I was working for New Leaf (which means sometime between 1997 and 2001). I don’t remember the name of the person who gave the seminar, but I did find these particular nuggets of wisdom inspirational… so I decided to archive them here.
- Whether you think you can or you think you can’t… you’re right! (are these Henry Ford’s words? I didn’t write down who originally said this)
- Failure is only absolute when you give up. Everyone gets knocked down. The question is, will you get up?
- Give back more than you take.
- What you think about is what you will ultimately become.
- Five keys to success in life:
- What you watch
- What you listen to
- What you read
- What you think about
- Who you associate with
I know these little sayings are basic motivationalese. But as someone who at times gets wound up in my own “stuff” regarding ambition vs. perceived success, it’s helpful for me to keep these kinds of “mental hygiene” reminders in my consciousness. I’m not a sucker for the Law of Attraction, but I do believe that, in the words of Paul, “whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.” — Philippians 4:8
In other words… what you think about, you will ultimately become.