|By NASA. Photo taken by either Harrison
Schmitt or Ron Evans (of the Apollo 17 crew).
Via Wikimedia Commons
There are dozens of simple ways to take part in Earth Day! Simply commit to change one thing in your life or do something just for today that will make a long-term improvement!
Here are some ideas:
- Unplug your phone charger when your phone is not actually charging.
- Start composting!
- Plant a tree, bushes or perennial flowers (look for ones that are bee/bird/butterfly friendly!)
- Start recycling
- Start using reusable cloth bags
- If you don’t use reusable bags, take back your plastic bags for recycling – many grocery stores accept bags from any grocer.
- Consider getting an ebook reader or ebook program for your computer and save some trees by downloading books, newspapers and/or magazines.
- Hold your own version of Earth Hour every month!
- Commit to using energy efficient light bulbs.
- Adopt a street, park or beach nearby and commit to picking up trash there once a week or once a month.
- Join your local Freecycle and start using it!
- Make a special Earth Day meal using only local and/or organic ingredients.
- Find your local farmer’s markets and commit to buying fresh, local produce.
- Clean out your closets. Instead of throwing away outgrown or unneeded items, donate them to a thrift store.
- Buy a bike (look for a second hand!) or get a tune up on the one you own – then use it!
- Start a garden, even if it’s just herbs on your window sill.
- Start making your own cleaning supplies.
- Take in a travel mug to any Starbucks or Carribou Coffee today and get a free coffee! Carribou offers 50 cents off every single day when you bring in your own cup.
- Visit Lowes on April 23 to get a free tree in honor of Earth Day!
- Many National Parks are offering free admission this weekend!
- Patagonia clothing has teamed up with musical acts to benefit the environment. Purchase a song and funds go to a non-profit environmental group.
- Take a bottle of your current face cleanser (full or empty) to an Origins store and get a free cleanser (fill out this form to take with you).
- Enter Target’s contest and win a sustainable home makeover.
This is post copyright to the author. It may not be reposted, reprinted or distributed in its entirety without express written permission of the author. Links to the article can be freely shared and are very appreciated!