Who needs ideas for Christmas?
In a thought-provoking retelling of the Dickens classic, A Modern Christmas Carol tells the story of a shrewdly successful televangelist who receives unexpected Christmas visitors: first, his long-dead partner, and then three ghostly guides.
Finally able to acknowledge the shallowness of his message and doubts he has long suppressed, he makes amends with far-reaching consequences.
Most readers will enjoy seeing a televangelist get his comeuppance, but this book is more than that. It explores faith and the evidence for Christianity, and it should provoke or intrigue any reader interested in the impact Christianity has on modern society. It will engage thoughtful readers who enjoyed the intellectual workout of books such as C. S. Lewis’ Mere Christianity or Richard Dawkins’ The God Delusion.
What others are saying
“[A] masterful retelling … well done!”
— Tom Flynn, editor of Free Inquiry magazine
and author of The Trouble with Christmas
“Consistently ingenious and beautifully written … thought-provoking!”
— Dr. Robert M. Price, The Bible Geek
“Clever and brilliantly told, I’ll even admit to tears at the end!
A Christmas story I’m happy to share.”
— Gretta Vosper, minister and author of With or Without God
“A clever little book, filled with insights,
that takes the conceptual framework of Dickens’s Christmas Carol
to new heights of rationality without sacrificing any of its compassion.”
— Paul Gabel, author of Inventing Jesus
Spread the word!
Would you enjoy seeing a televangelist get the Scrooge treatment? Do you share my interest in getting atheists and Christians talking about the reasons underlying Christianity? Then give a copy for Christmas (or give one to yourself) and tell your friends!
Email them about it, or send a tweet:
- Click to tweet: WHAT war on Christmas? An atheist celebrates Dickens’ classic: “A Modern Christmas Carol” is $6 on Amazon: http://amzn.to/169Zbp3
- Click to tweet: Want to see a televangelist get the Scrooge treatment? “A Modern Christmas Carol” is $6 on Amazon: http://amzn.to/169Zbp3
- Click to tweet: Enjoy C.S. Lewis? Here’s another fictional exploration of arguments for Christianity: “A Modern Christmas Carol” http://amzn.to/169Zbp3
- Click to tweet: Interested in the Christianity/atheism debate? “A Modern Christmas Carol” is $6 on Amazon: http://amzn.to/169Zbp3
- Click to tweet: Ever wonder what an atheist church could look like? “A Modern Christmas Carol” is $6 on Amazon: http://amzn.to/169Zbp3
This blog is here because you’re here! Thanks for your help and participation.