I haven’t heard of anything like this happening elsewhere. But it seems priests from two vicariates in the Archdiocese of New York are calling for a delay in implementing the new English translation of the Roman Missal (slated to start next Advent).
They drafted the following resolution:
many priests have not had the opportunity to study and discuss the forthcoming changes in the Roman Missal (especially the celebrant’s parts) with groups of priests; and
there have been serious questions raised about the quality and character of the language used in these changes; as well as the pastoral effectiveness of those changes for the 21st century American Church,
Be It Resolved:
that this area conference of priests requests that the Priests’ Council of the Archdiocese of New York advise the Archbishop to seek a postponement of the implementation of the new Roman Missal in the Archdiocese for at least one year (from Advent 2011), or until such time as priests of the Archdiocese have the opportunity to review all the changes in the new Roman Missal and to offer suggestions to the Archdiocese’s Liturgical Commission as part of a collegial consultative process to be determined by the Archbishop
I suspect this is a relatively small number of priests. But clergy taking such a strong and outspoken –even defiant — position is surprising.
I’m not sure how much weight it will carry (if any) but it will be interesting to see how this is resolved, and if any other priests (in New York or elsewhere) join in.