Below, photos of the man now in custody in connection with yesterday’s horrific attacks in Norway.
The Norwegian charged with going on a killing spree in which at least 91 people died is a former member of a populist anti-immigration party who wrote blogs attacking multiculturalism and Islam.
The suspect, detained after 84 people were gunned down at a youth camp and another 7 killed in a bomb attack on Friday, has been identified by Norwegian media as Anders Behring Breivik.
Website entries under Breivik’s name criticized European policies of trying to accommodate the cultures of different ethic groups, and claimed a significant minority of young British Moslems back radical Islamic militancy.
“When did multiculturalism cease to be an ideology designed to deconstruct European culture, traditions, identity and nation-states?” said one entry, posted on February 2, 2010 on the right-wing website www.document.no.
“According to two studies, 13 percent of young British Muslims aged between 15 and 25 support al Qaeda ideology,” said another entry dated February 16 last year.
Police searched an apartment in an Oslo suburb on Friday, but neighbors said the home belonged to Breivik’s mother, whom they described as a nice lady.
Deputy Police Chief Roger Andresen would not speculate on the motives for what was believed to be the deadliest attack by a lone gunman anywhere in modern times. But they said the man in custody had described himself on his Facebook page as leaning toward right-wing Christianity.
Breivik had also been a member of the Progress Party, the second largest in parliament, the party’s head of communications Fredrik Farber said. Breivik was a member from 2004 to 2006 and in its youth party from 1997-2006/2007.