Jesus in the mall: amazing Eucharistic flash mob in California

Just watch:

YouTube Preview Image

Seems to me the folks behind this are clearly getting their inspiration from this video, which swept YouTube over the summer, around the feast of Corpus Christi.

Comments

1. I love these faith flash mobs, they give me hope.

2. Henry Karlson says:

I don’t like flash-mobs at all. They can be disruptive, they encourage a brain-dead “listen to those who tell you what to do without thinking” mentality. And when it is imitated by Christians in this kind of way, it doesn’t bring holiness to the equation, but the cheapness of the situation to Christ. But that’s me.

3. Wow. Pretty cool. It’s the sort of thing I could see St. Francis having done a thousand years ago.

4. Bringing Christ to the world!

All God needs is the tiniest of little openings to come into our lives. Blessed be God!

5. Someone needs to read Redemptionis Sacramentum. This is an abuse of the sacrament, however well intentioned.

6. Had they sung the Tantum Ergo or O Salutaris, many would have sung along most heartily, especially having received a hand-out with words, etc. Nice, but still not solemn enough.

7. Irish Spectre says:

…way to judge those “cheap” worshippers of Jesus in the mall, Henry!!

Moreover, I like to think that there might be at least a soul or two in need of conversion who witnessed this event for whom said event will prove to be a turning point. Time and again, God has proven more than capable of bringing about a lot out of a little.

But that’s just me.

8. Henry Karlson says:

I highly doubt this will convert people, but if anything, will turn them off more; it will make eucharistic devotion look like some pop fad…

9. How can this be abusive? We are just bringing Jesus the Lord to a world concerned mostly about shopping, eating, drinking and having fun at a time when we should take the time to THINK of the real meaning of Christmas, to truly LOVE our neighbor and let ourselves BE LOVED, to do CHARITY in the name of LOVE, to be FRIENDLY because we found GOD, a HOPE we would not have without JESUS. This is not just me. It’s a whole CHURCH devoted to JESUS CHRIST from the APOSTLES TO BENEDICT XVI.

10. Henry,
    Thankfully, God operates quite well despite your cynicism. He can do whatever He wants whenever He wants and doesn’t need your permission to be successful. These courageous priests understand that very well and operate under the banners of Faith, Hope, and Charity. I pray someone finds a way to give those to you in great abundance.

11. William,
    Perhaps not solemn enough for you, but there were several there who seemed to think it was just right. Even Christ recognized that all people are not the same. I had a great pastor once who said, “The trouble with the Church is that it isn’t traditional enough, and it’s too traditional. There are too many changes and not enough changes. The people are too zealous and too wishy-washy and too conservative and too liberal.”
    The fact is, Christ meets us where we are, not where others think we should be.

12. I agree. Well intentioned but not solemn enough.

13. Seriously. This kind of stuff is sacred and shouldn’t be deliberately done in front of ignorant secular people.

14. Sacred things should be kept within the confines of faithful worshipers. They shouldn’t be thrown in front of ignorant secular people. Which do you think is more likely to happen: the ignorant secularist calls what they are doing cookie worship because it’s a bunch of people adoring a piece of bread, or the ignorant secularist falls on his or her knees proclaiming that it is the Lord who takes away their sins? God knows where those who are on the edge of conversion are and doesn’t need His sacred gifts (especially the Eucharist) being displayed in public like they’re some sort of spectacle to gaze upon.

15. The New Evangelization in action.

16. Patricia Cornell says:

Jesus died on the Cross outside the city where the large pit was located so as to be identifed with the poor and sick and lowly. The large pit was where the soldiers threw in the sick and elderly…Every once in a while a fire was lit and ‘stuff’ in the pit was burned.

Anyone caught trying to save those in the pit was himself thrown in the pit. So Jesus IDed Himself with them, not with the wealthy and real smart (!).

Cetainly this Flash Mob is putting Jesus’ Love into their midst…so here we are..in the midst of the rush to buy, buy, buy…in the midst of the secular trinity Me, Myself, and I…comes the true Trinity..the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit! What a great thing!!

Patricia in St. Louis, MO

17. It’s abusive because the ignorant secularists are more likely to call what their doing cookie worship than to immediately proclaim that it is the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. We don’t know how has received the grace to acknowledge the truth but God does. He will lead those people accordingly. He doesn’t need His transcendent gifts being put on display for anything less that worship and adoration amongst the faithful. Most of those people walking by are not faithful.

I’ve got mixed feelings about this myself. But I don’t think it’s helpful, or charitable, to think of people who are exposed to Christ as being “ignorant secularists.”

Who cares if those walking by are not faithful? Christ dined with tax collectors and prostitutes and continually placed himself in the presence of those who would one day deny him, betray him and kill him.

19. Christ Incarnate, laid in a manger; angels, kings and shepperds came and adored Him. He identified himself with the poor, the sick, tax collectors, prostitutes and some ignored Him, some crucified Him.
    Those in the mall, some will adore Him, some will ignore Him.
    God will touch your heart, if you just let Him in.
    If but one soul is touch and repent by what they have witness here, all of heaven rejoices.
    Glory be to God in the Highest. Peace to all.

20. Not be done in front of secular people?
    You mean just keep it in Church
    and preach to the choir?

Jesus said teach ALL nations He didn’t say
    avoid “those Gentiles, those Pharisees, those Romans”, ‘those secular’ peoples of His day.
    He was very specific! EVERYONE!

21. Yeah the Pharisees said Jesus was low class for
    eating with tax collectors and prostitutes.. and gentiles.
    Ah, the horrors of the definition of ‘cheapness’.
    Nobody made those people pray, they wanted to, its called free will.

22. Deacon Greg, I have mixed emotions about this. My love of the Eucharist gives me the first instinct to believe it should not be handled and used in this way. My love of Christ reminds me he sent out his apostles all over the world to convert. What better place in the Christmas season than those indulged in xmas activity than to bring the blood, body, soul, and divinity of our Lord for them to see. A friend responded to this with a comment on my concern over this happening in a mall with the comment questioning how many in our Catholic Churchs have lost the true belief in the Eucharist and maybe we hide it away too much. He mentioned the old marches through the streets with the Eucharist held high.

23. Tapestry: The Gospel also tells us “Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs.” In the early, the Eucharist was only to be witnessed at Mass ONLY by the baptized and confirmed. Placing the Real Presence in Samsonite, really? Lord, forgive them, they know not what they do….

24. When I first watched it I was bothered by all the people in the background ignoring the Blessed Sacrement – but then I realized that I had to ask myself how many times do I ignore Jesus when I pass by someone in need- whether it is a homeless stranger or just someone I don’t have time for? How many times have I done this when I walk through my daily life without seeing Jesus in the faces of those around me? It just brought it home to me – Whatsoever you do to the least of my brothers you do to Me.

25. It appears that this action was an abuse and a violation of Canon Law regarding the Holy Eucharist, the treatment of our Lord Jesus Christ. See Canon 934 though 944 on Vatican web site. http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P3C.HTM

Also see: – CCC: “ 2696 The most appropriate places for prayer are personal or family oratories, monasteries, places of pilgrimage, and above all the church, which is the proper place for liturgical prayer for the parish community and the PRIVILEDGED place for Eucharistic adoration.”

26. No Priest or Deacon may take the Eucharist out, even in a procession without permission of the Diocese Bishop.

Can. 944 §1. When it can be done in the judgment of the diocesan bishop, a procession through the public streets is to be held as a public witness of veneration toward the Most Holy Eucharist, especially on the solemnity of the Body and Blood of Christ.
    §2. It is for the diocesan bishop to establish regulations which provide for the participation in and the dignity of processions.

I’m not aware of any Bishop giving permission to take the Body of Jesus Christ into a shopping mall, nor is this abuse permitted by Canon Law which the Bishops must follow.

27. Deacon Greg, was this video truly Catholic Priests or Deacons, or were they merely people mocking Our Lord and the Catholic Faith? He did not know and was merely reading the Litany. The songs for adoration were not done.
    If I lived in this Diocese, I would have contacted the Bishop immediately, and if it was not corrected, the US Papal Nuncio in Washington DC and the Vatican.

When in doubt, I try to get my info from the CCC, Canon Law on the Vatican web site , and GIRM (General Instruction of the Roman Missal) for the Liturgy on the USCCB web site.

28. How do YOU know He doesn’t need it displayed there? You don’t think there could have been even one marginal person there who may have benefitted from being in the real presence of Christ Himself? He belongs in more places than just a box or a church; let’s remember He MADE everywhere!

29. And I’m really glad Christ did not keep Himself “within the confines of faithful worshipers.” Else how would you have access to Him?

Anne P:

Yes. It’s legit. You can visit the website for the parish responsible at this link. You’ll see the priests from the video on the staff page.

Anne P:

How is processing through a public shopping mall any different from processing through public streets?

32. Rachael Wong says:

Reverence – packing Jesus before and after in a travelling bag ? that’s no way to treat the King of Kings.

33. I think this could have more impact with a little more formality and reverence. Something common in peoples posture, dress, and words has to convey the gravity of what is happening in a dignified and reverent way. Otherwise the whole thing can fall flat. I am not saying the video did completely. But I think it can be improved upon. But, they should be applauded for challenging people in the public square by their presence….yet…Does anyone else fear some nut job running out their attacking the Eucharist and the priest/deacons? Its not an easy time to be an ordained person, so organizing some beefy parishioners as protection/deterrent would be most prudent. If you are going to unveil the mysteries without a liturgy, try doing it with beauty in prayerful chants. A good schola with some timeless chants will transport people into another world. They may not understand the latin, but they will know beauty when they hear it. The veil over their understanding of our sacred language would be a perfect introduction to the mystery of God. As a young person myself, I know the beauty of gregorien chant was one of the things that changed my heart forever.

i.e. Imagine a few people like in link below. It would be a dramatically more profound impact.

34. And Jesus on the cross was not a spectacle? I think that under the circumstances, the reverence shown by all was moving. I remember the processions in my native India, when the monstrance was lifted up along the streets in front of Hindu, Muslim or Buddhist adherents. Catholics today in the West are not brave in the expression of their faith. Thanks so much for sharing, Deacon Greg.

35. Or better yet, 800. :)

36. Is someone telling me that if he/she were in the mall he/she would not adore the Lord because it was not dignified enough? The worship of God is to the degree that we are given up to him in our souls. If we think that because others do not ‘recognize’ Jesus in the Eucharist then we shouldn’t do same I think we have a very long way to go. Mind you this calls for public expression of faith and this is what we are all called to toeing in line with Babara P’s comment. LET OUR FAITHS BE REAL!!!!!!

37. 1) there was no procession;
    2) a procession must be in the streets;
    3) No Priest can hold a procession without the Diocese Bishop’s permission, and then must follow the rules the Bishop requires for respect of the Body and Blood of Jesus.

The environment of a walkway in a shopping mall is, in effect, a street.

I’m surprised that the mall management permitted this — they were escorted in by a security guard — and that there have been no protests in the news about it from secular or atheist groups, who might otherwise be shocked at the spectacle of large numbers of people kneeling and praying in a public place.

39. We must ALL (including Bishops and Priests) adhere to the “Catechism of the Catholic Church, Second Edition” and Code of Canon Law, and GIRM (General Instruction of the Roman Missal). These are from our Church Magisterium. Those who oppose or think they know better than the Magisterium which must include our Pope, are leading people astray with their false piousness and or false teaching.

Without following these, Sacrilege and Scandal can take place. (See your copy of the CCC for the definitions of Sacrilege and Scandal.) In addition, we are being disobedient to the Magisterium on matters of Faith and Morals.

There is no record of the Apostles exposing the Body of Jesus where they publically preached. Nor did Jesus tell them to do so.
    We can bear witness by following the examples of the Apostles and our Pope.

40. A mall is private property.
    They are owned by corporations, companies, or individuals.

Is there any record of the Apostles exposing the Body of Christ — in the Eucharist, for Adoration — anywhere?

42. Another poster stated: “Someone needs to read Redemptionis Sacramentum. This is an abuse of the sacrament, however well intentioned.”

I read: “REDEMPTIONIS SACRAMENTUM on certain matters to be observed or to be avoided regarding the Most Holy Eucharist” on the Vatican web site.
    Chapter VI The Reservation of the Most Holy Eucharist and Eucharistic Worship outside Mass.
    The actions in this video are indeed an ABUSE of the Blessed Sacrament.

43. Not that I am aware of, and I just finished reading the entire New Testament yesterday. (It took me over a week to do this, so I may have missed something, and would appreciate correction if I am wrong.)
    Jesus gave our Church the ability to loose and bind both on Earth and in Heaven. (Mt 16:19)
    We must adhere to the teachings (requirements) of our Magisterium on ALL matters of our FAITH and MORALS.

44. But – Paragraph 144 of “REDEMPTIONIS SACRAMENTUM” says:

“Although this cannot be done in some places, the tradition of holding eucharistic processions should not be allowed to be lost. Instead, new ways should be sought of holding them in today’s conditions: for example, at shrines, or in public gardens if the civil authority agrees.”

I suppose this event could be classified as a new way of holding a eucharistic procession in today’s conditions.

45. Thank you so much for sharing that Brother. I was really moved by this. I also think it was realy cool for the Priest to take Christ to a mall to remind us about the true meaning. Again thank you for sharing this. God Bless you my friend

46. I watched the video again looking for anything which would allow this type of activity under Canon Code 944 1 & 2, and Redemptionis Sacramentum. The answer is “NO”.

This was not a procession, not on public property (or public garden), and pulling the Monstrance out of a black bag like a common magician with the Eucharist already in it, is an abomination and Sacrilege.

We can not twist the words or meaning of words from the Church to meet our own personal criteria, nor leave out important points of the criteria. That is the work of Satan with attempts at being a false teacher.

SR: ” 6. Complaints Regarding Abuses in Liturgical Matters
    [183.] In an altogether particular manner, let everyone do all that is in their power to ensure that the Most Holy Sacrament of the Eucharist will be protected from any and every irreverence or distortion and that all abuses be thoroughly corrected. This is a most serious duty incumbent upon each and every one, and all are bound to carry it out without any favouritism.
    [184.] Any Catholic, whether Priest or Deacon or lay member of Christ’s faithful, has the right to lodge a complaint regarding a liturgical abuse to the diocesan Bishop or the competent Ordinary equivalent to him in law, or to the Apostolic See on account of the primacy of the Roman Pontiff.[290] It is fitting, however, insofar as possible, that the report or complaint be submitted first to the diocesan Bishop. This is naturally to be done in truth and charity.

Anne P:

The parish, St. Raymond’s, is in Downey, California, part of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. I suggest you drop a line to Archbishop Gomez to express your concerns.

48. The purpose was not just for worship otherwise they would not have left the safe confines of the Church. The purpose was to evangelize and witness. Therefore your presentation is very important. We are not just promoting a personal Jesus but a Jesus present in the Church. I dont think what they did was scandalous…. but suggesting ways to make the impact more transformational is an important conversation. Beauty is a path to God. Whether it is sacred music or sacred architecture, or that beauty we can share within us. Secondly, a disciplined platoon of soldiers for Christ is much more impressive than a disheveled mob. If dignified dress and common outward signs of worship was not important, we would all be wearing shorts to weddings or priests would make up their own prayers at the altar. I think God deserves more respect from us.

49. Deacon Greg,
    What about those who dropped down on their knees and worshipped Christ? He is the same substance as the Eucharist. Making a differentiation based on the accidents seems to be a problematic line of argument that does not really prove anything.

50. Anne,
    Why dont you contact the priest. I think it a little harsh, not contacting him first. I think it is pretty obvious he is trying to do a good thing. Why not make him aware of your concerns first.

51. Jesus said he would draw all men to him. It was gratifying to me to watch people casually strolling by who decided to take a part in the worship. It was also nice to see Jesus once again among the “moneychangers” bringing his message of hope and love and, just possibly, helping us remember that celebrating Christmas isn’t solely about malls and shopping. God bless these men who aren’t ashamed to show their faith. Who knows what good work the Lord may bring from this incident? I would be proud to kneel before my Lord in any mall.

Trackbacks

1. [...] vandalized amid protestsTaking Jesus to the streetsDec 18th, 2011 by Deacon Greg KandraIt turns out this dramatic display last week wasn’t an isolated incident.  The pastor at St. Raymond’s in Downey, [...]

2. [...] at the link. Also, if the church and town seem vaguely familiar, it’s the parish that staged this Eucharistic flash mob. N.B. For those who are wondering: there’s a section of Canon Law on clergy and politics:Can. [...]