Dolan, the Big Cheese

As the New York Giants and Green Bay Packers prepare for tomorrow’s big game, it’s worth remembering, whimsically, the colorful headgear worn by a certain archbishop (now Cardinal-Designate) several years back, when he was newly ensconced in Milwaukee.

Not everyone was charmed.

But the man who would later be dubbed “America’s Pope” proved something: he does know how to win over a crowd.

(P.S.: Go Giants!)

Comments

1. I’d forgotten about the Cheesehead incident but Dolan lost me when I watched his installation Mass antics.

Did he bring his dogs along too?

3. Humor and laughter have an important place in the life that Goddesires for us all.
    Recommend reading an excellent book by James Martin, S.J.

“Between Heaven and Mirth — Why Joy, Humor, and Laughter Are at the Heart of the Spiritual Life”

4. I’m one who is of the belief that such things should happen outside of the Mass. Nothing wrong with having fun but not during Mass. That is the one time we should leave the world behind and give ourselves totally to God. There’s 23 additional hours to mess around and have fun.

5. Heavy hangs the head that wears the cheese.

I still think not very appropriate for the dignity of a bishop though.

6. I still think not very appropriate for the dignity of a bishop though

Oh, I think a bishop can have a little fun with such things, as long as it’s not during Mass.

7. “he does know how to win over a crowd’”

But isn’t how we win over the crowd and for what purpose. Not sure how many are won over to Catholic faith and Christ rather than being won over for the bishop own vanity. Humor misplaced.

8. Win Nelson says:

I liked the cheesehead. I would believe that many in the congregation paid attention during the Homily on that day.

I also love this picture of the late Pope John Paul II: http://www.traditioninaction.org/RevolutionPhotos/A034rcComicPope1.htm

9. Oregon Catholic says:

I like that one too but that’s because he’s not at Mass. But did you happen to notice the website you linked to posted it in criticism for abandoning the “sacrality” of his office? I don’t think that’s even a word.

10. Neil Allen says:

How bout the even worse joke that Archbishop Dolan uses in every interview – the self-deprecating joke about being overweight?

People laugh at their leader, realizing its ok and its funny to overeat. Of course, Archbishop Dolan has plenty of food to eat, and eats plenty of it, as millions of people die of starvation every year. Catholics spend energy on deciding whether wearing a cheese head is appropriate more than they worry about people dying of starvation. Dolan makes it all look funny.

Wonder if God thinks that is funny.

11. It’s probably important to keep serious concerns like these in mind. $250 million would indeed feed a lot of people today, but the money would run out pretty fast. And the distribution from the world’s bread baskets to the Third World would still be clogged with the concerns of economics, government corruption, cash crops, etc.. Charity is important as a personal exercise of piety–not to mention right relationships. But justice is vital. Our planet produces enough food to feed everyone. The problem is politics, not overpopulation.

As for the archbishop’s weight, if he were determined to change his eating habits, he might well inspire a number of other clergy who need healthier lifestyles. There’s a lot of potential good to come out of a slimmer archbishop. At some point, you do hope the comedy routine gets new material.

Regrettably, this was during a Mass.

“By the way, if Archbishop Dolan and the Catholic church sold St Patrick’s Cathedral, they’d make about $250 million, which would save over a million people from dying of hunger next year.

Before you start up with your excuses, tell me What Jesus Would Do if Jesus had that choice today.”

He would say exactly what he said to the hypocrites who complained of the waste of the ointment that could have been sold and the proceeds given to the poor.

14. I agree Nature. The suggestion to sell the Cathedral was inane.

15. Win Nelson says:

I missed sacrality, thank you for pointing that out, Oregon Catholic!

I thought it was a fun and endearing photo.

16. for some reason I can’t see Cardinal O’Connor ever donning the cheesehead hat. Hopefully Dolan will leave that stuff in the past. I was at the Cardinal-designate’s mass yesterday and he seemed in fine form.

I saw Cardinal O’Connor’s coat of arms on the cathedral floor afterwards and it always reminds me of his last midnight mass at St Patrick’s, face swollen and head bald from his cancer treatments. I remember him saying forthrightly (and accurately) that it would be his last Christmas mass. It was very poignant.

17. George Mason says:

@Neil Allen,
    You are a bigot against the overweight and a fool when it comes to finances.
    Your Judas Iscariot solution to world hunger is a hypocritcal farce, especially when directed at a Church that has led the world in charitable efforts for 2000 years.
    Study and think a little before your next post.

18. And, qualifying it – I don’t think it should happen while wearing a chasuble, even if Mass has ended.