Worth a thousand words

Cardinal-designate Timothy Dolan prays the rosary on steps of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem. He’s on a pilgrimage to the Holy Land this week. Read more.

Photo by Bob Mullen/The Catholic Photographer/NY Daily News

Comments

1. +TD is the real deal.

2. I didn’t know he was a Knight! Cool.

3. Deacon Jose A. Munoz says:

Dear Brother Deacon…Cardinal to be Dolan is one of the BEST bishop that our catholic church has, I have served in masses in wich he is teh main celbrant or presiding, and his a ver FRIENDLY, LOVELY, person as many people in NYC call hin the friendly Bishop…he is unique, the Archdiocese of NY shoul be glad to have him…and I know becuse I served, whe Cardinla Cooke, Oconnors, Eagan & now him…I am very happy to be one of his servants…we sholud pray for him always…Deacon Jose A. Munoz…

4. justamouse says:

Even before I became Catholic, I loved him, and now even moreso.

5. I pray for him and wish him the best.

6. He will need all the strength in the world if Obama gets a second term.

7. A few years ago you had published a picture of Archbishop Dolan embracing a deacon. It was my absolute favorite picture of him reminding me of how God will hopefully embrace me one day. This is my new favorite. It is so beautiful and I am deeply moved by it. Thank you for posting it!

8. This is an uplifting picture for me. A priest must be an authentic witness to the Gospel in his words, acts and deeds even when he thinks the public is not listening or can’t hear him. Not only should we pray for the ArchBishop, but we should pray for all our priests that they all remain strong in faith and mindful and faithful to their responsibilities to the people of God.

9. Cardinal to be Archbishop Dolan is such a great guy with a great personality. I think regular guys like us identify with him because of his gregariousness and his vital “manliness”, I mean I can actually see the prelate cooking burgers at a barbecue and drinking a brewsky. This picture shows a seriousness to his personality that at least I hadn’t seen before, it is great.

He must be really be disappointed how Obama played him after meeting with him in person a few weeks ago and having “a frank discussion” and now having the president lean on the conscience of Catholics by enforcing the HHS mandate.

10. Bill Russell says:

Yes, Archbishop Dolan must be very disappointed that Obama did not keep his promises. Neville Chamberlain once was disappointed, too. The archbishop supposedly is a historian. If he had remembered history, he wouldn’t have blundered.

11. Supposedly? As in, you’re not sure +TD has a PhD in History?
    Blundered? As in, you give a man a chance to do the right thing, and if he doesn’t do it, then it’s your fault for giving him the chance?
    To compare NC/Hitler and +TD/Obama is a rank exercise in rhetorical glitter, sounds impressive, but is w/o substance who anybody who thinks things thru.

12. You got that right, brother!

13. Bill Russell says:

Mr. Peters-
    Unless one lives in the Land of Oz, a doctoral degree in history does not make a man an historian. This is a repeat performance: Archbishop Dolan and his fellow New York bishops also felt “disappointed” that Governor Cuomo the Second failed them in the same sex marriage debacle. In the real world, in contradistinction to Oz, we do not expect all our bishops to be saints or prophets, but it is hard to understand how, in the present system, how any man can become a bishop if he is naive.

14. BR wants it both ways: he wants to describe Dolan as only “supposedly” being an historian (do you have a cite for that claim by D?), but when it’s pointed out that D does in fact have the basic credential of an historian, he dismisses the evidence.

If you don’t like the way +TD handled this or that issue, just say so. Don’t meanly carp at a man who makes the rest of us look like spiritual kindergarteners.

15. Bill Logan says:

Honestly, I’m sure not what to think of this picture. I suppose it’s good that he prays the rosary. But I was reading this article on his accounting shell games to deny compensation to victims of abuse in Milwaukee. I wonder if John Allen discussed this in his new book on Dolan.

16. Bill Russell says:

Mr. Peters misses the point. Credentials do not confer competence. There are a lot of Doctors of Theology who certainly are not very good theologians. Same with historians,scientists and so forth. That is why a classical definition of an intellectual is someone educated beyond his intelligence. In the instance of so many bishops who helped get us into the present cultural situation, the maxim holds: Fool me once, shame on you – fool me twice, shame on me.

17. “That is why a classical definition of an intellectual is someone educated beyond his intelligence.”

Good grief. No more exchanges with errant nonsense.