BREAKING: Santorum quits race

I suspect this will be all over the place.

But you can find quick summaries here and here.

And The Anchoress is on top of things, as well.

Stay tuned.

Comments closed.   People reading the comments can see why.

Comments

1. I appreicate the timly news Dcn. Greg, as I was planning to go to his rally tonight in Lancaster PA.

2. Such a good man. I felt real sadness that someone like him is not running but I’m sure he will be a big help in his new role.

While I felt that on a number of issues he was the best candidate, I was never confident that he could win enough votes from independents to be elected president.

Our country needs people like him (and Ron Paul, on other issues) to continue to speak for what is important, and in that way to help turn our country to better paths — by persuasion and by helping to elect those who will bring about the improvements that are possible at the time, and into the future. For 2012, the most important thing is to defeat Obama. Then we need to reshape public opinion as much as possible on issues of respect for life and respect for the human dignity of all people so that in 2014 and 2016 we can do even better.

4. Eh. Santorum Romney and Obama are all just different faces on the same coin. They are all big government, crony capitalist warmongers who think the state should tell people how to live their lives. The only point of difference is on the subject of which aspects of people’s lives they would prefer the state dictated.

Looks like I will be either staying home or voting Libertarian this year.

5. midwestlady says:

Ad Orientem,
    And you will be voting for Obama by default if you stay home or vote libertarian. Ron Paul can’t win.

6. Midwestlady
    When there is no real difference between the candidates, who cares?

7. Obamacare is difference enough for me.

8. No difference? What brand do you drink?

9. It’s called “Constitutional Conservatism.” If you find someone who falls under that heading drop me a line. They may get my vote. For now I will likely write in Ron Paul.

10. Can we all at least agree that the Roman Catholic Church is not and should not be a branch office of the Republican party? In other words, political news is great to hear (I’m a political junky myself), but I sure hope Catholicism does not become the “how do we beat Obama” sect that some would like to turn it into. And yeah, I know there will be someone waiting to clobber me for suggesting that we need to be about more than trying to take down this president. Sadly, some have tried to turn this church into a PAC that is right-wing enough to make even Karl Rove salivate.

Unfortunately there was no way he could hang in any longer. Apparently even PA wasn’t planning to vote for him.

12. Obamacare. The HHS Mandate.

13. Not sure it matters much who will be next POTUS. We have a corrupt political and economic system in place right now that even the best intentioned leader could not fix. By corrupt, I don’t necessarily mean illegal or fraudulent, but much like a computer one that is infected by a virus that simply makes it no longer work. Collectively, we have no money and the gap between the haves and have nots is only going to grow further apart as the government deals with no money and how it decides what to pay for and what not to pay for. It’s a mess. I put no stock into any of it.

14. That ship sailed long ago. If an extraterrestrial anthropologist studied Catholicism primarily through online forums and the statements of the USCCB and individual bishops, they could easily conclude that the GOP platform and support of its candidates was the the core doctrine of the faith. The only high-profile conservative Catholic who consistently goes against the grain on this notion is Mark Shea.

15. and waste your vote

16. I will cast a vote to be sure — for Obama. But your “point of difference” is food for thought.

17. No question is stupid — no vote is wasted.

The vote is of value by the simple fact one is part of a society that allows a vote, be it for a candidate, against a candidate, or as a protest.

18. You are correct, Steve — no clobber from me.

19. Mark Greta says:

naturgesetz, that is indeed the most important thing for America in 2012, the defeat of Obama and his party from power. If America is to be saved, it is going to require leadership that is not bent on creating class warfare for their own political gain. We also have to have judges put in place that value life from conception to natural death and to stop the overreach of the federal government and federal courts.

I hope that Santorum finds a home in the new Republican administration. Heading up HHS would be a great job for him to help remove any vestiges of obamacare left behind by the court

20. Mark Greta says:

Ad Orientem, don’t believe the lie. There are huge differences between free market thought of the republicans and socialism of the democrats. The socialist will turn us into Greece with another term. Not the bashing and outright hatred of the Ryan plan by the left when he attempts to put issues ont he table to reduce the size of government. Jake says he will vote for Obama and loves your thought about their not being a difference. If he is voting for Obama, he obviously does not buy into your post, but would like for you to continue to believe that lie.

21. Mark Greta says:

Jake, if you think all are the same, why are you supporting Obama? Democrats are pushing this lie and only those foolish enough to buy it are going to stay home or throw away their vote. Rom Cath is right on target and we need to keep people focused on simple facts of the mess Obama has created. But even more, never forget when he was caught on open mike about having more “flexibility” in a second term. If he was caught here, you know he is saying that to everyone with a wink and nod. He is saying I need to lie to the fools one more time and get their vote and then I will have the “flexibility” to really end America forever.

22. Mark Greta says:

Jake has stated clearly he is voting for Obama. Why would he bash Steve who is also probably voting for Obama.

Steve, you can leave your faith under a basket, but the Church calls on us to take our faith out into the world. When the world has the Democatic party that has killed nine times more people than Hitler killed Jews in the holocuast of WWII, to not come out in full force to stop that party places your very soul at grave risk. It really is as simple as that. That party has been evil since its founding first with slavery, then with the terror wing of the party the KKK, and now with abortion. We went to war to stop the evil of the Nazi’s, at least we can do is show up to vote the grave evil of that party of death out of existence.