One of the common occurrences in history is the transformation of the oppressed into the oppressor. Here we have a good example in a column by Crystal Wright, a black woman who thinks that gay people should be denied the equal rights that her ancestors fought for, and uses the same arguments used by those who opposed the equality she now seeks to deny to others.
What is happening to our country? Gays, who represent less than 3% of our population, are trying to dominate our culture and society. Love whom you want. Love the one you’re with. People don’t really care. This is the message most people want to say but are afraid to because the LBGT (lesbian, bi-sexual, gay and transgender) community will verbally flog anyone who doesn’t agree with them. Between gay marriage, gay adoptions, forcing the Boy Scouts to admit gay scouts and scout masters, and lauding a rich NBA player for announcing he’s gay, the message is clear from gay America to the 97% of the rest of us. You will accept our lifestyle as mainstream. My response: “No I won’t.”
I know, right? Just like black people only make up 13% of the population, yet they think they should have equal rights to the other 87%. It’s madness!
Notice when anyone rejects this gay agenda based on religious beliefs or personal views, they are called bigots or mocked. Appearing on Meet the Press May 5, 2013, Republican Newt Gingrich noted the Catholic Church is prohibited from performing adoption services in states like Massachusetts and the District of Columbia because the Church will only allow a married couple (by definition a man and woman) to adopt a baby. This is a perversion of societal norms all in the name of liberals forcing their political correctness down America’s throat whether her people have an opinion about it or not.
This is all false. The Catholic Church is not prohibited from performing adoptions services at all, they’re just forbidden from discriminating while accepting taxpayer money to do so. They chose not to do so rather than stop discriminating. Do you suppose Wright would be ranting about “liberals forcing their political correctness down America’s throat” if this involved not allowing parents to adopt a child of a different race? Because her ideological ancestors made this same argument about that.
Liberals are eager to help the “gay lobby” with its takeover of America. The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) announced March 29, 2013 plans to consider allowing Medicare to pay for sex change surgeries and invited public comments on the topic. Later that day, HHS abruptly pulled the proposal. While the agency said it was due to “an administrative challenge” of Medicare’s 1981 decision not to cover such operations, it seems news coverage of HHS’ proposal had something to do with its about face. I doubt Republicans in Congress would think sex change operations were a good use of taxpayer money.
And as we all know, the measure of all spending is whether Republicans in Congress think it’s a good idea. And by the way, how exactly is allowing Medicare to cover sex change operations a “takeover of America”?
No matter how many TV shows are produced about gay couples being married and raising children, or phones calls made by president Obama to gay athletes, homosexuality will never be the majority in our culture. I think it’s high time the 97% of the rest of heterosexual America stand up for the preservation of American society not the distortion of it.
Which is exactly the same argument made against civil rights for black people. And women. A black woman, of all people, really should be more careful about declaring that giving equal rights to others is a bad thing.
Like Dispatches on Facebook: