Regnerus’ Weird Comments at Conference

The Ruth Institute, the “think tank” associated with the National Organization for Marriage, held their annual “It Takes a Family to Raise a Village” conference for students last weekend. The College Fix, a conservative student news site, has a report on some of the weird claims being made there. Some of the framing being used was extraordinarily dishonest.

Ruth Institute founder Dr. Jennifer Roback Morse – a former economics professor at Yale and George Mason universities – said the conference, now in its fifth year, helps religiously serious students understand the importance of conservative values’ and traditional marriage’s roles in maintaining a free and healthy society…

“Many departments are hostile to the traditional family,” she said. “Even sociologists who have the data that shows the family is good are spinning and respinning.”

I think you’re the one spinning here. This entire frame that says people who are against sexual repression and anti-gay discrimination are against the family is simply absurd. Yes, families are good things. Families are wonderful things. I love my “traditional family.” How does it follow from this fact that we should therefore prevent gay couples from forming families and giving them legal recognition, which is the sole reason NOM and the Ruth Institute exist? They have used the word “family” to mean “anti-gay.”

Professor Regnerus, during one of his talks with students, pointed out the economics of casual sex, and essentially argued women have undersold themselves by embracing the hook-up, no-strings-attached campus sex culture.

“How much does sex cost? Literally nothing,” he said.

Meanwhile, women don’t have to marry to become successful in life, so many succumb to the notion that casual sex is acceptable, even though they prefer committed relationships, he said.

Underscoring that, sex has become “the opium of the masses,” that “we are lacking transcendence and sex is a transcendent act,” he said. Ultimately, casual sex is a disappointment, he added.

“Sex doesn’t explain the world, religion does,” he said. “Sex will come up short.”

Talk about apples and hand grenades. Sex doesn’t even attempt to explain the world. He might as well have said “tennis balls don’t teach us how to cook.” And no, religion does not explain the world. It attempts to do so, but has always failed miserably at the task. Science, on the other hand, does an excellent job of explaining the world.

POPULAR AT PATHEOS Nonreligious
What Are Your Thoughts?leave a comment
  • StevoR : Free West Papua, free Tibet, let the Chagossians return!

“It Takes a Family to Raise a Village”

Fuck of a big job for just a single family that.

Also .. that saposta be some kinda inbreeding joke?

• catbutler

These people always talk about how they are the ones who really value women and respect them, but then measure women as commodities whose only value is their vagina.

What an asshole.

• Anthony K

“tennis balls don’t teach us how to cook.”

[Tastes the fish stew.] “You’re right! This is way too salty. Fuck you, Dunlop. Find your own way off this island!”

• Michael Heath

Wow; just wow. This is Palin-level stupid and Bachmann-level crazy.

• http://www.facebook.com/den.wilson d.c.wilson

So, making up fairy tales so that people will give you money and power =”Explaining the world?”

• Akira MacKenzie

Yes, families are good things. Families are wonderful things. I love my “traditional family.”

Are you sure you aren’t a single orphan, Ed? Besides the disruptive effects on personal goals and finances, familes are nothing but a cess poll of abuse and dysfunction, as well are a breeding ground for neuroses. I know too many kids who would be better off without their asshole parents, and parents who’d be better off without their shrieking kids.

When Jesus-creep fuckers complain that “liberals” are out to destroy the family, I always find myself muttering “Yeah, I wish.”

Fuck the family.

• Draken

Maybe Regnerus should try casual sex more often.

• http://artk.typepad.com ArtK

A conservative is someone who is convinced that someone, somewhere is having fun without feeling guilty about it. Someone who is convinced that that must stop!

• Artor

Draken, considering that Regnerus and his ilk have demonstrated repeatedly that they just don’t understand the concept of consent, let’s hope that he’s celibate instead. Nothing good could possibly come from anyone or anything having sex with Regnerus.

• http://en.uncyclopedia.co/wiki/User:Modusoperandi Modusoperandi

Sex doesn’t even attempt to explain the world.

Yes it does. You should’ve see my physics class before they shut it down. It’s all right there, in the vagina! Teach the Controversy, people! Teach the Controversy!

ArtK “A conservative is someone who is convinced that someone, somewhere is having fun without feeling guilty about it. Someone who is convinced that that must stop!”

You’re just a shill for Big Genitals!

• demonhauntedworld

You think Regnerus is even aware that the original quote was that “religion is the opiate of the masses”, or has his cognitive dissonance blocked that?

Also, what’s a “religiously serious” student?

• raven

“Even sociologists who have the data that shows the family is good are spinning and respinning.”

Who says families are bad? Nobody.

Dr. Morse will be tortured in hell by all the strawpeople she murdered.

Ultimately, casual sex is a disappointment, he added.

Speak for yourself moron.

I suppose it can be. But that isn’t his problem or my problem. We are all free people living our own lives. Whether Regnerus likes it or not.

BTW, Regnerus has pretty much blown his credibility here as a scholar and sociologist. Just another fundie Liar and hater for jesus.

• Larry

“Even sociologists who have the data that shows the family is good are spinning and respinning.

Citation, please.

• Who Knows?

we are lacking transcendence and sex is a transcendent act

See Pat Condell’s video on transcendence.

• Pierce R. Butler

That’s just not fair, considering how much Regnerus had to spend each time.

• doublereed

Is he suggesting a Tax on Sex?

I mean he’s talking about Sex “costing something.” Like… does he only have sex with prostitutes? Does his wife require him to do some chores before he’s allowed to have sex? Sex has never costed anything!

• djk1
  • D. C. Sessions

I like the “women have undersold themselves.” I presume he’s speaking in comparison to the women he knows, who have always insisted on top dollar as the price of doing something so disgusting.

• Vicki

It’s too much to expect anything like context-awareness from these people, but the point of the “opiate of the masses” quote wasn’t just that religion can ease pain: it’s that the masses of people have lives such that they need something to stand in for opiates.

• Akira MacKenzie

I hate to break it to Dr. Morse, but speaking from experience as a teen/college Catholic conservative (I probably would have attended one of these “conferences”, once upon a time) abstinence and right-wing sexuality is pretty damn dissapointing, I proudly proclaimed my virginity and declared with all confidence that I would wait until marriage as God intended.

Now, I’m 38, single, and still a virgin. I don’t know how to court a female (not that my appearance or bipolar disorder helps) and my previous attempts have always led to rejection–not that I blame them, I wouldn’t want to fuck me either. I wish I had I fooled around back when I was younger, thinner, and less of a loser.

• scienceavenger

Regnerus: Ultimately, casual sex is a disappointment

I feel like I need a Tosh 30 seconds to respond to this.

Yeah, when your partner is being paid.

Turn on the lights.

Try intense sex instead.

Stop expecting it to be like the movies.

Try to make it more like the movies.

Learn what that buzzing sound means.

Borrow some of Rush’s blue pills.

Ever attempt to learn what she thinks is exciting?

Get drunk afterwards, not before.

• leftwingfox

Dammit, coffee only smells good when it isn’t coming out of my nose!

• Akira MacKenzie

Anthony K @ 3

leftwingfox is right. I’m in one of my angry/depressed funks today, but I have to admit the “Castway” reference made me chuckle.

• Stacy

Akira, it sounds like life’s dealt you a hella bad deal.

Don’t knock yourself. You escaped the worldview you grew up with, that’s more than many people ever manage. Hang in there.

• scienceavenger

Akira, I wasn’t much better off than you at your age, my sexual revolution happened late, but boy did it. Don’t give up hope.

• iknklast

The only institution that is working against the family is the family. I was seriously abused by my family, and avoid them in any way possible. And I know many others who are the same way. Seriously, when you look at families, you have to take into account all the various manifestations of family that are possible. Many of us scoff at the idea that “the family” is a good thing; the good thing is “a good family”. There’s a huge difference. Family itself is no picnic; bad family might be worse than no family at all.

• http://timgueguen.blogspot.com timgueguen

I’m surprised no one has commented on the ridiculousness of the idea that women have to marry to become successful in life. I’m not entirely sure what the hell he means, but the sexism is obvious.

• Synfandel

Arian Cronauer could have been talking to Professor Regnerus when he said, “You are in more dire need of a blowjob than any white man in history.”

• escuerd

Akira MacKenzie, those comments make me want to give you a big hug. I don’t know your exact situation, but this sort of thing can be self-reinforcing. I hope that you’re talking to psychological/psychiatric professionals about bipolar disorder and any related emotional issues you might have.

If nothing else, I think it’s awesome that you were able to come from that background to the person I see posting here today. From what I’ve seen, I suspect you’re a lot more down on yourself than could be justified.

• dan4

“Meanwhile, women don’t have to marry to become successful in life, so many succumb to the notion that casual sex is acceptable, even though they prefer committed relationships.”

Is Regnerus (idiotically, in my opinion) using “committed relationships” as a euphemism for “marriage?” That’s the only way this sentence makes sense to me.

• Pen

I’m like that with food. I always succumb to the notion that chocolate is acceptable even though I prefer salad.

• dingojack

Based on the quality of their speakers, I think they left the word ‘idiot’ off the end of the conference’s name.

Dingo

• oranje

Sex is fun, Mark. Why are you against fun? Oh, right.