Leaked Frat Emails Reveal Dudebro Life

For anyone who thinks there’s no such thing as rape culture or that misogyny isn’t a serious problem in our society, I would suggest reading the leaked emails and text messages from an unofficial fraternity at American University filled with future power brokers in business and government. It’s pretty appalling.

“A driving factor of this fraternity is our mysterious reputation,” one member tells the others on email. “However if we lose this we will lose a distinguishing factor that we have over other fraternities and attractiveness that we have over future rushes and the bitches.”…

Much of the email correspondence details the idle sort of misogynist, homophobic shit-talk that outsiders, for better or worse, associate with frat life. References to “dripping wet pussies” and “pint sized axo sluts” abound. But some of the messages detail far more disturbing antics.

When presented with allegations from one woman that a friend of hers had been date-raped at EI’s house, the brothers went nuts. “I would like to meet this lying cunt and show her how african men treat their women,” one wrote. When the accuser reportedly made a truce with the frat, one brother commented: “Dumb bitches learning their place.”

Whenever talk of the fraternity’s rapidly declining reputation with law enforcement and other Greeks came up, the brothers fought mightily to contain the damage—but not for the usual reasons. “something needs to be done so bitches will still go to our parties,” said one member, who according to his LinkedIn profile has worked with a charity organization for families of missing and dead veterans.

Not every member wanted to deal with the difficult business of public relations, however. “can we please get back to talking about getting blacked out and fucking bitches?” asked one brother after a car crash outside their house involved the cops. “last year i got kicked out of the current in a blaze of glory and then kicked out of a cab for fingerblasting [redacted] too well woo,” the brother—who now specializes in commercial real estate data—added…

In subsequent messages, he told brothers he didn’t want to waste time hanging out “with chi o bitches and pike faggs,” but preferred parties where “i poured so much champagne on bitches titties and faces last night my b.” Later, he started a thread titled “Bitches are the laziest creatures.”

Another member fretted that parties should be planned so as to “get bitches in the right state of intoxication so that plows will be raining all over the place.”

The role of the diplomat often seemed to be played by a brother calling himself “CUMGUZZLER,” who when he wasn’t interning for a U.S. senator and an influential congressman’s political action committee, regaled his comrades with fuzzily remembered sexual conquests and assured them: “Hit me up if you need a hot bitch to vomit all over.”

When a female student said she was date-raped at their frat house, one of the dudebros said, It seems like damage control is very straightforward, someone needs to stuff a dick in that [redacted] girl’s mouth with the quickness.” Nah, there’s no misogyny or rape culture problem here, is there? Yes, yes, I know, not all fraternities are like that. But this is hardly unusual behavior in places where the young elite gather.

"Sorry, but attending a gala honoring someone is something you either voluntarily attend or not. ..."

How to Think Critically About the ..."
"Wow... this is rich... Aussies have more than just Kenny Ham to get entertained by.As ..."

Swanson: God Will Punish Australia for ..."
"True critical and rational thought would acknowledge that false accusations are extremely rare, but that ..."

How to Think Critically About the ..."
"To clarify... I meant groping a grown woman vs. “dating”, i.e. “molesting” a 14 year ..."

How to Think Critically About the ..."

Browse Our Archives

Follow Us!

What Are Your Thoughts?leave a comment
  • John Pieret

While I really wouldn’t wish it on them, the cosmic scales of justice would not be unbalanced if every one of these dudebros wound up in prison where some very large men showed them what it is like to be treated as “bitches.”

• cswella

@1: Fuck off. Rape is rape.

• http://cheapsignals.blogspot.com Gretchen

“Man, I hate rape culture. It sure would be nice if these guys who perpetuate it got raped!”

Yeah, umm….no.

• John Pieret

It sure would be nice if these guys who perpetuate it got raped!

Which is why I wouldn’t really wish it on them. It would sure be nice if they could somehow be made to understand just what it is that they are doing to other people.

• cswella

@4: in which case, you would hope they develop empathy, not by force. By phrasing it like you did, you’re giving a justification for rape in certain circumstances.

• doublereed

It’s not even an official fraternity. It’s like the remnants of a different fraternity that was shut down.

Which raised a question: What can American University do about it? Not rhetorical.

• eric

@6 – sounds like they already got kicked off campus and had their charter pulled by the national organization. Now, there is probably not much more AU can do. But on the plus side…

1. These two acts typically spell the death knell for local fraternal branches. Maybe its not dead yet, but it probably will be in a few years, once the current members have all graduated (or moved on).

2. The fact that AU already did this may indicate that they are actually concerned about this sort of behavior, and take steps to prevent it. IOW, the fact that they kicked these guys off campus may be an indication that they were exceptionall bad actors, not the rule of what AU fraternities are like.

• John Pieret

you would hope they develop empathy

As in ‘walking a mile in their shoes’?

you’re giving a justification for rape in certain circumstances

That was not my intent and I apologize if I gave that impression. Any crime against them would be just as bad as the crimes they are committing or intend to commit against women.

• doublereed

Searching for the answer to my question, the school newspaper has ongoing coverage:

Kerwin added in the statement that further communication from Vice President of Campus Life Gail Hanson would come soon.

This is the second of recent notices to the AU community over this alleged student conduct, after Hanson sent out a message to the AU community on April 18, saying that the University was investigating the content of leaked emails.

[No More Silence’s] short-term goals include securing a transparent and thorough inquiry by campus officials. The group also requests that the University release an official statement asking the University to recognize involvement in EI as a gang activity.

• doublereed

@7 eric

EI lost their charter all the way back in 2001.

• http://en.uncyclopedia.co/wiki/User:Modusoperandi Modusoperandi

It turns out the drunken, drug-fueled, immoral morons were drunken, drug-fueled, immoral morons. Dean Wormer was right.

• Schlumbumbi

Nah, there’s no misogyny or rape culture problem here, is there? Yes, yes, I know, not all fraternities are like that. But this is hardly unusual behavior in places where the young elite gather.

These people were kicked out into orbit and their actions were universally condemned. If rape culture actually existed, you would’ve seen none of that. They are literally a “rogue fraternity”.

• Nemo

“Axo”? “Chi o”? “Pike”? Do I even want to know what these things mean?

Nemo “‘Axo’? ‘Chi o’ ‘Pike”? Do I even want to know what these things mean?”

Wait until you find out what “Nemo” means. It’s disgusting, a tragedy, and a waste of bacon.

• Uncle Ebeneezer

Ed, here’s a fantastic (but long) piece on the insurance industry with regards to fraternities. They are about as risky as toxic waste companies in the eyes of insurance companies. Anyways, it’s a pretty fascinating read.

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/02/the-dark-power-of-fraternities/357580/

One warm spring night in 2011, a young man named Travis Hughes stood on the back deck of the Alpha Tau Omega fraternity house at Marshall University, in West Virginia, and was struck by what seemed to him—under the influence of powerful inebriants, not least among them the clear ether of youth itself—to be an excellent idea: he would shove a bottle rocket up his ass and blast it into the sweet night air. And perhaps it was an excellent idea. What was not an excellent idea, however, was to misjudge the relative tightness of a 20-year-old sphincter and the propulsive reliability of a 20-cent bottle rocket. What followed ignition was not the bright report of a successful blastoff, but the muffled thud of fire in the hole.

Also on the deck, and also in the thrall of the night’s pleasures, was one Louis Helmburg III, an education major and ace benchwarmer for the Thundering Herd baseball team. His response to the proposed launch was the obvious one: he reportedly whipped out his cellphone to record it on video, which would turn out to be yet another of the night’s seemingly excellent but ultimately misguided ideas. When the bottle rocket exploded in Hughes’s rectum, Helmburg was seized by the kind of battlefield panic that has claimed brave men from outfits far more illustrious than even the Thundering Herd. Terrified, he staggered away from the human bomb and fell off the deck. Fortunately for him, and adding to the Chaplinesque aspect of the night’s miseries, the deck was no more than four feet off the ground, but such was the urgency of his escape that he managed to get himself wedged between the structure and an air-conditioning unit, sustaining injuries that would require medical attention, cut short his baseball season, and—in the fullness of time—pit him against the mighty forces of the Alpha Tau Omega national organization, which had been waiting for him.

• Pierce R. Butler

Nemo @ # 13 – Just shorthand for the Greek letters adopted by various frats & (in the first two cases you cite) sororities.

• Chaos Engineer

#12: These people were kicked out into orbit and their actions were universally condemned. If rape culture actually existed, you would’ve seen none of that.

It’s not enough just to condemn the behavior.

If you read through the comments on other web sites, you’ll see a lot of people saying things like, “I condemn the behavior, but the women involved had shouldn’t have been drinking so much” or “I condemn the behavior, but I also condemn the people who posted the e-mails with the sender’s names intact, thereby violating their privacy.” or “I’d condemn the behavior if it had really happened, but first I’ll need ironclad proof that this isn’t just adolescent boasting.”

That’s pretty much the definition of “rape culture”. People who say things like that might not be rapists themselves, but they’re helping to create the culture of victim-blaming and secrecy and hyper-skepticism that rapists need in order to thrive.

#13 Axo”? “Chi o”? “Pike”? Do I even want to know what these things mean?

Those just look like something vile because of the context they’re in. They’re actually references to other fraternites…Axo = Alpha Chi Omega, etc.

• Stacy

A job in commercial real estate, nterning for a U.S. Senator and a congressional PAC–that doesn’t sound like being “kicked out into orbit” to me.

• Stacy

interning.

• glendenb

The Atlantic ran a story recently about fraternities – entitled The Dark Power of Fraternities it traced the evolution of frats from starting in the early 1800s to a low point in the 70s and 80s to their current influence and size. A huge chunk of that article explores the sophisticated system frats developed to protect themselves from the repercussions of partying, drinking and raping.

One key idea I got from the article is that 18-22 year olds may be legally adults but very often they don’t act like.

• cptdoom

@ 1 John Pieret – actually the cosmic scales of justice would be balanced if every woman these idiots ever dated were given copies of the unredacted emails, so they could see exactly what kind of putz they were involved with, and could dtmfa (Dan Savage code for “dump the mother*cker already).

• Ben P

Axo”? “Chi o”? “Pike”? Do I even want to know what these things mean?

AXO is probably Alpha Chi Omega – a sorority

Chi o – Chi Omega – a sorority

Pike – Pi Kappa Alpha – A fraternity

• http://www.facebook.com/shockna shockna

Once publicized, and those surrounding them thought it politically inconvenient to be associated, sure.

This doesn’t surprise me at all; I’ve seen active fraternities, fully chartered and all, talk and behave exactly the same way.

The above, by the way, is disregarding the fact that you don’t appear to know what the sociological phenomenon called “rape culture” actually is.

• smrnda

On whether this is atypical, there’s always the ‘bad apples’ argument, but it’s quite possible that people just pretend to be outraged over the *rogue frat* so they can continue to do similar things. Hypocrisy is almost expected here.

When it comes to a type of organization prone to any sort of crime or unethical practice, when someone gets BUSTED there’s often pervasive condemnation, it’s the show you put on which you hope makes people stop investigating further to see who else might be up to the same things.

• grumpyoldfart

It’s never going to stop. In a thousand years from now privileged young boys will still be thinking that the world is theirs for the taking (and everyone else is an idiot).

• Uncle Ebeneezer

@Glendenb- see my comment #18 above where I linked and excerpted from it. What amazed me (not really, more like “found amusing”) was that for all the lip service paid to loyalty and brotherhood etc., the national chapters of fraternities will not hesitate for a second to hang one of their brothers out to dry in order to avoid litigation.

• steve84

The whole fraternity/sorority stuff is complete BS any way you look at it. I don’t see the point and it causes so many problems.

• http://motherwell.livejournal.com/ Raging Bee

No, Schlumbumbi, just because a few people got punished doesn’t prove the non-existence of rape culture — especially since, as noted @10, the frat got booted in 2001 and the dudebros are still acting like this. That fact proves they’re still living in an environment where they think they can talk like this and get away with it. that’s what rape culture is, idiot.

• Ichthyic

If rape culture actually existed, you would’ve seen none of that.

How do you like wearing that ignorance? Do you think it looks good on you in the mirror?

• imthegenieicandoanything

I might well resort to violence should I hear two minutes of this shit come out of any man’s mouth. With a damn fire extinguisher.

I hope I do not, and find a more clever solution.

No wonder they need to group in a pack.

Many of course will regret this, far too late in their life, when they actually learn from their daughters, girlfriends, wives or mothers what reality is now and was. always.

• freehand

chaos engineer: If you read through the comments on other web sites, you’ll see a lot of people saying things like, “I condemn the behavior, but the women involved had shouldn’t have been drinking so much”

.

Depends on how this is worded. Is the poster blaming the women, or suggesting wise behavior, given that other people are predators?

.

I might say “It was the drunk drivers fault, but I wish she had been wearing her seat belt:, or “The weather forecasters predicted nice weather, but she should have been keeping her old raincoat in the car, like I do”. Or more to the point, “I told him not to drink in that neighborhood. Of course the mugger would have picked him.” Is that blaming the victim? I dunno, but ever since a fellow martial artist got beat up when he was drunk (35 years ago), I haven’t consumed a drop of alcohol outside my house.

.

I understand and agree that there is rape culture. but when a young relative went off to college, I had a few words of advice: Don’t drink at parties or on dates. Don’t let yourself be photographed or video recorded. Keep your knife at hand.

.

Part of the problem is that young people get so much advice from their parents and other adults:

Don’t listen to that crap; get some good music.

For once in your life, get a decent haircut.

Sit up straight.

Don’t drive drunk.

Don’t forget to write.

…the important stuff gets lost in the noise, and associated with simple old people outrage.

.

It wouldn’t surprise me if there were 100 posts to a story like this and all of them were defending the rape culture – it depends on the venue in which the story is posted. But “wear your seat belt” isn’t accusing the passenger in a car of anything.

• badgersdaughter

Freehand @ 31:

Here’s what you’re missing.

In inclement weather, there is no moral agent and no choice and no attack.

In a car accident caused by a drunk driver, there is a moral agent, but no choice and no attack.

In a rape, there is a rapist with moral agency and choice who has chosen to perpetrate an attack.

You can’t claim the weather chose to cause harm or hold it responsible. You can hold a drunk driver responsible for their irresponsible behavior and its consequences, but nobody argues that they deliberately chose to cause harm. You can indeed claim and show that rapists deliberately chose to cause harm and that they were responsible for causing it..

• Chaos Engineer

Keep the context in mind: These are the comments to an article about people seeking out drunk women so they could rape them. In that context, saying those individual women shouldn’t have been drunk seems like victim blaming.

Now what if it had been an article about problems caused by college alcohol culture, like the “Dark Power of Fraternities” story linked above? In that context, it would be appropriate to say that college men and women shouldn’t binge drink.

I might say “It was the drunk drivers fault, but I wish she had been wearing her seat belt:,

Again, what’s the greater context? Is the conversation about the drunk driver, or about an existing injury, or about how to prevent injuries in the future? If it’s about the drunk driver, then why is there a desperate need to turn the conversation to seat belts? If it’s about an existing injury, then wouldn’t a little sympathy be more appropriate than I-told-you-so’s? If it’s about preventing future injuries caused by drunk driving, then isn’t “get drunk drivers off the road” a better solution than “make sure people wear seatbelts”? (But “make sure people wear seatbelts” is a good idea if we’re talking about preventing injuries caused by accidents-in-general.)

• freehand

badgersdaughter, I understand that predators are evil and are utterly to blame. I thought I had made that clear, but clearly I didn’t. Mea culpa.

.

And chaosengineer, I have no reason to think that you have read any posts incorrectly; I would have to see a particular blog or news article and read the previous comments by readers to have an opinion on some particular ones. I also have no interest in diverting this thread further. Carry on.

• mildlymagnificent

The one really striking thing about all this being a “rogue” group kicked off campus means that the university has – on paper – washed their hands of them. So why weren’t they ensuring that complaints about the criminal behaviour of people who they claim to be out of their jurisdiction being referred straight to the cops?

Couldn’t possibly be yet another aspect of rape culture. Could it? We can’t keep them within not-very-wonderful control of our own administration – so why don’t we show them what it’s like to be at the mercy of the cold, hard world outside. But they didn’t do that. The “kicking off campus” gave them more freedom to do their worst.