Scott Lively: I’m Just Like Winston Churchill

Deranged bigot Scott Lively gave an interview to the student newspaper at Boston University and he was in fine form, declaring himself to be an advocate of civil liberties while wanting adulterers thrown in jail. Oh, and he’s just like Winston Churchill.

FG: Do you see yourself as a happy medium between the two parties or would you put yourself on an entirely different spectrum?

SL: I am sort of a Winston Churchill type of figure. People are either going to love me, or they’re going to hate me. If they voted for Scott Lively to be governor, it would mean they want a radical change in the way things are. If they want just a little nudge, to the right or to the left, of the way things are, they’re going to vote for somebody else.

Really? That’s your criteria for being like Winston Churchill? By that criteria, you’re also Bill Laimbeer.

FG: What would you say to someone who agrees with your social conservatism but disagrees with your religious foundation? Do you still see same-sex marriage as something that should not be allowed, even from a secular viewpoint?

SL: Sexual promiscuity is very destructive to a society, and homosexuality is a form of sexual promiscuity. We are male or female…there is no third sex. There is no such thing as a homosexual except that a person that is biologically male or female has made a self-determination that they are oriented toward someone of the same sex, instead of the opposite sex. That’s by nature, by definition, dysfunctional, and it’s not healthy, and we shouldn’t be encouraging it…I believe in civil liberties, but should we be endorsing that as a matter of public policy? Absolutely not.

No, you don’t believe in civil liberties. You want gay people and adulterers thrown in jail, which eliminates any possibility of you believing in civil liberties. You’re a Christian totalitarian, not a civil libertarian.

"Depends on the concentration of the hydrogen perxoide. 70% to 90% would do a pretty ..."

Pastor: Moore Liked Young Girls Because ..."
"I thought the expression was throwing someone under the bus."

Looks Like Flynn Has Flipped on ..."
"Bible-monster seems to have a thing for knocking up Bristol Palin, that spokesmodel for saving ..."

"The half-life for the time between when one Republivangelical says something that is the creepiest ..."

Browse Our Archives

Follow Us!

What Are Your Thoughts?leave a comment
  • John Pieret

He wants to throw gays in jail to save them from incurring the wrath of God. Next up Muslims, Catholics, Mormans ….

• Hercules Grytpype-Thynne

By that criteria, you’re also Bill Laimbeer.

I’ll admit I got a laugh out of that. To Celtics fans of the 80’s, Laimbeer was the dirtiest player ever and practically the devil incarnate

But I must point out that “criteria” is plural. The word you’re looking for is “criterion”.

• peterh

Quite lively with the self-derived definitions, isn’t he?

• sugarfrosted

Another thing he has in common with Churchill: he doesn’t like non Christian brown people.

• sc_66094e8bda5868965485ea1203e3994b

In peacetime, Winston Churchill was an *utter shit*. He equated coal miners with rats when asked his opinion of their treatment and work conditions. Just saying.

• colnago80

Re #2

I don’t know about that. Celtic Jungle Jim Lustacoff was certainly as dirty a player as was Laimbeer.

• sugarfrosted

@2 I’d argue that criteria is uncountable in modern language, much like data is. The singular forms aren’t really used anymore.

• dingojack

What, an obese, alcoholic, elitist, autocratic military ignoramus?

Dingo

• cptdoom

From the interview:

God is the creator of the universe. Everything that we are, everything that we see, everything we have, everything even that we think, exists because he established it. That he is, God is, omniscient, omnipotent and he’s omnipresent, that there’s nothing that can exist that he doesn’t know, and he’s absolutely sovereign and has control over all things.

Really, Scott, because that means your God must have created intersex people as well. What gender, exactly, is a person born with Complete Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome, who has XY chromosones but female external sex organs? And doesn’t the existence of intersex people directly contradict your statement:

We are male or female…there is no third sex.

I realize actually presenting facts will never change the mind of a zealot like Lively, but one would think a journalist, even a student one, would raise just such issues. In fact, I’m appalled at the shoddy work presented in this interview, and would have to fail the student journalist if they submitted it for a grade. For instance, the profile states:

Upon the firm’s closure, Lively took part in a 50-city mission trip of the former Soviet Union…

That would be the trip in which he defamed millions of LGBT people and argued for the cessation of a basic civil liberty called “freedom of speech,” from those people, not to mention claiming they were responsible for the most heinous of crimes – all of which without proof. Yet these activities, never mind his work to bring the “kill the gays” bill to Uganda, are not mentioned in the profile.

• reddiaperbaby1942

Sugarfrosted at # 7: sadly, you’re right that these singulars are rarely used nowadays; but I’ll stand and defend them as long as I can. I use the singular forms “criterion” and — horribile dictu — “(mass) medium”. “Datum”, I’m afraid, is beyond resurrection, but I use “data” as a plural form; the singular is an “item” of data or some other suitable unit.

I also use “syllabi”, and “curricula”, and “indices”. My colleagues laugh at me, but I merely smile enigmatically to myself and go on using this admittedly archaic language.

By the way, I also refuse to use “disinterested” except in the sense of “neutral, having no vested interest”.

• daved

If they voted for Scott Lively to be governor, it would mean they want a radical change in the way things are.

Well, no denying that one. Though there is no chance this bluest of states is going to elect him.

Actually, even if they did, the state legislature is so overwhelmingly Democratic that they would prevent dear ol’ Scott from doing most of what he’d like to do.

• John Pieret

even if they did, the state legislature is so overwhelmingly Democratic that they would prevent dear ol’ Scott from doing most of what he’d like to do.

True, but it wouldn’t stop me for feeling dirty for being in a state where even ONE person voted that piece of shit!

• theguy

“Sexual promiscuity is very destructive to a society, and homosexuality is a form of sexual promiscuity”

So Shitely thinks that gay marriage, a form of monogamy, is promiscuous? Words have no meanings for fundies: lie enough and you make lies “truth” through force of will.

Promiscuity isn’t destructive towards society; hypocrisy and a generally repressive attitude towards sexuality is much more harmful.

• noe1951

“Really? That’s your criteria for being like Winston Churchill? By that criteria, you’re also Bill Laimbeer.”

and haggis

• Al Dente

reddiaperbaby1942 @10

but I use “data” as a plural form;

So the Star Trek character Data are to be written about in the plural.

• http://polrant@blogspot.com democommie

“What, an obese, alcoholic, elitist, autocratic military ignoramus?”

You left out, “syphilitic”; there were pretty strong rumors about paresis being the condition that he suffered from towards the end.

• Quantum Mechanic

I’d say that anyone* who claims they’re just like a historical head of state probably has an ego problem. It’s funny that he’s so fixated of the “sin of lust” that he never gets around to pride, isn’t it?

*Full disclosure: I did once exclaim: “I’m Winston Churchill!” In my defense, I meant Winston Zeddemore… And I was also only four at the time.

• colnago80

Re Dachshund @ #8

Hey Chihuahua, let’s here it for the RAAF!

http://goo.gl/w19pCx

• denada

“SL: I am sort of a Winston Churchill type of figure. People are either going to love me, or they’re going to hate me.”

Because if anything defines Winston Churchill, it’s that love/hate thing.

Pathetic. You might equally well have picked Adolf Hitler.

• dingojack

SLC – And they didn’t shoot even a single bullet. (IS must be quaking in their boots).

@@

Dingo

• Doug Little

I think Lively needs to brush up on his biology a little. I think his comparison to Winston Churchill is apt, their scientific understanding is stuck in the 1940’s.

• Nick Gotts

The description: “a Winston Churchill type of figure. People are either going to love me, or they’re going to hate me.” is grossly unhistorical. Churchill was widely disliked and distrusted on both left and right during the 1930s; became Prime Minister in 1940 because he had been right about the Nazi danger, Chamberlain had lost the confidence of the Commons, and Halifax refused to put himself forward; became a highly popular war leader; then lost the 1945 election because many of those who had supported him as war leader wanted an entirely different peacetime government.

• caseloweraz

Reddiaperbaby1942 (#10): I too bristle at the use of “criteria” and “media” as singular, though like you I’ve given up on “data”.

One other thing puzzles and annoys me: so many people have apparently forgotten that “plead” is not the past-tense form. They may be reasoning by analogy with “read”, which doesn’t drop the “a” in the past tense. But that’s not the way English works.

Read ==> read

Plead ==> pled

Lead ==> led

Bleed ==> bled

“English is Cra-a-a-zy”

• Friendly

Thankfully “criterion” and even “datum” are still alive and well at the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, whose documents I edit. The agency has a thousand other writing quirks that annoy me tremendously (such as using “maintain” when they mean “keep” and using “consistent” as an adverb), but they (mostly) aren’t guilty of abandonment of these singular forms.

• colnago80

Re Nick Gotts @ #22

It is my information that Halifax, who was notoriously soft on Frankenberger, was in favor of negotiating an end to the war after the fall of France.