Relatively Interesting has a review of some of the big name “psychics” and their predictions for 2014 made at the beginning of the year. I’m sure it will come as a huge shock that they weren’t even a tiny bit accurate in those predictions except when they were really vague or obvious. Here’s LaMont “Monte” Hamilton:
Here’s what he sees for 2014:
- An electrical fire is seen in the new NSA(National Security Agency) collection center in Utah that will be linked to sabotage. (Did not happen)
- A discovery that diseases can be transmitted or transferred by pure thought from one location to another will be found. (Did not happen)
- Scientist will discover and prove that we live in an identical twin universe that’s the mirror opposite of ours. (Did not happen, though it would have been cool if it did)
- Nobel Prize in Chemistry will go to: Alivisatos, Seeman, and Mirkin for their work on DNA. (Here’s who actually won: Eric Betzig, Stefan Hell and W. E. Moerner)
- Nanotechnology that uses the unique properties of DNA to treat the human body targeting individual cells.(Sort of – though this isn’t something unique to 2014 as development of this kind of technology began years ago, and it’s not ready for humans)
- We will lose one of our past Presidents or First Lady this year after a prolonged illness. (We didn’t)
- 2014 will be a very interesting political year since we’ll have the fall elections coming, and I predict we’ll have at least 2-3 congressmen resigning their offices before that time. I see a few more veteran lawmakers’ losing their seats after the elections are over. (Does this not seem obvious around election time?)
- Due to an increase in sexual assaults in the military this year, men and women will eventually be segregated once again. (They are not)
- The Atlantic Ocean along the central east coast [of the U.S.] will be contaminated due to radiation or pollution that kills aquatic life. (Did not happen).
- Russia, China, and U.S. will collaborate on an asteroid shield/tracking program due to a potential hazard coming by December. (Did not happen, and no threat in December)
- I see a tragic full-blown horrific civil war breaking out in Sudan by April, drawing the U.S military into the conflict. (I see what he’s trying to do here – pick a country in the Middle East and hope for the best. Turns out it was Syria and Iraq.)
- Due to the advancement of new nano-chemicals, future cars will not need to be washed as much or need windshield wipers to repel dirt or water. (Did not happen in 2014)
- Programmers will discover a simple computer code or app that will end almost all future online computer viruses. (Ridiculous, and did not happen. And I predict, will NEVER happen.)
- Significant positive views about women will create a rise in global political and economic power for them this year, and another top 5 auto manufacturer will have a female CEO before the year is out. (There was a female CEO announced for GM BUT IN 2013!. This doesn’t count as a prediction for 2014. Nice try, Lamont.)
- The alternative digital currency, Bitcoin, will crash due to a well-placed virus that affects the algorithm. (Sort of, but it’s been going downhill since 2013).
- A scandal over a Nobel Peace Prize nominee will be reported in the news that the commission may consider taking the prize back from them. (No, it was awarded without controversy.)
- New protruding land masses or islands will start to form around Hawaii, Southeast Asia, and the Bahamas over the next year, sparking renewed interest in the legend of Atlantis. (Atlantis, really? Didn’t happen).
- New York City will move to limit the number and types of pets that people can own in town. (As far as I could find, this already has been in place since 2009.)
- President Obama will pardon people that have been imprisoned for non-violent marijuana drug offenses.(In December 2013, he did this, so it should be no surprise if a few more were pardoned in 2014)
- Tragedy surrounding long-time actor Michael Douglas seen, which could be an accident or illness. (He came out has having tongue cancer in 2013, and reconciled with Catherine Zeta Jones in 2014 – whatever that’s worth.)
- The original 1969 USA moon landing site will be reported as damaged or vandalized by another country that lands on the moon. (Didn’t happen.)
The others didn’t fare any better. The best part is “Psychic Nikki,” who offered a big list of predictions she made that were accurate when none of them were actually included in the list at the beginning of the year. The will to believe on the part of the audience makes such lies quite safe to tell.