University of South California is doing a first. USC School of Religion is establishing the first chair of Hindu studies in the United States. The Chair has been established thanks to Dharma Civilization Foundation, which has given a grant of $3.24 million to the school.
The USC Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences will have the Swami Vivekananda Visiting Faculty in Hindu Studies and the Dharma Civilization Foundation Chair in Hindu Studies., where work will be done to bring the best of Hinduism to its students.
Dharma Civilization Foundation is an LA based onganization. What is this foundation? It is funding the Indic studies.
The Dharma Civilization Foundation for Indic Civilization Studies serves to fund studies of the Indic Civilization having major focus on Dharmic religions of Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Sikhism. It is an effort to promote Dharma education through research, degree courses, Endowment Chairs etc
It has three main objectives with respect to the Indic Studies.
(1) Academic Dimension: Special focus and emphasis on creating important shift in Academia & Dharma Education at all levels; promoting Academic initiatives, such as :
- Creating Visiting Professorship, Endowed Chairs and Centers for Hindu / Dharma / India Studies
- Online Masters – level courses in Dharma and Civilizational Studies
- Courses in Vedic Chaplaincy and School of Divinity
- Journal of Dharma Studies
- Dharma text books, Dharma Publishing House, Dharma Book Series etc.,
(2) Establishing Think-Tanks: For developing strategic moves to safeguard the interests of the Dharma Community and for optimum representation of the Dharma paradigm.
(3) Funding Projects: Offering seed money for strategic social innovations and Entrepreneurship in various fields with a game-changer potential and to trigger a qualitative change in the discourse.
The USC Chair is one of its first endeavors into the Dharmic studies.
Stay in touch! Like Patheos Hindu on Facebook: