How Understanding Personality Changes Everything
Many of you probably know Anne Bogel from her very popular blog Modern Mrs. Darcy. She’s also the host of the podcast What Should I Read Next?, but her new book, Reading People, literally changed everything for me. I love this book. I’ve read several sections of her book several times since doing this episode. It really helped me understand myself better — and my kids! It unlocked the mystery of why we are the way we are.
I was blown away by her book. All of the personality tests out there have always confused me. Anne’s book really dumbed it down for me. Ha! It’s a very simplistic and straightforward way of looking at personality types. She does a great job of explaining all the types and why it’s important for you to understand these aspects of yourself and other people. She also goes into detail on how to take this knowledge and interact with others.
I’m so excited for you to listen in with my conversation with Anne! She is amazing.
A “Simply Joyful” tip from Anne…
Keep a small dish on your counter, so you’ll always know where your keys are! — Anne Bogel (CLICK TO TWEET)
On a “Simply” & “Joyful” side note…
Get ready for a great interview — get your own Simply Joyful Podcast mug HERE!
Highlights from This Show…
Here are a few fun quotes from this episode. Please feel free to “click to tweet” or share the images below on social media.
- Anne shares about being a professional book enthusiast and her dream job.
- Anne’s new book took me by surprise since she’s known as a reader of books, not necessarily a reader of people. So, Anne talks about how she first started learning about how to “read” other people’s personalities.
- Anne made me laugh when she described how she “got it wrong” the first time she took personality tests. She then explained how to correctly take a personality test — specifically we chat about the Myers Briggs personality test — and how to get the best results.
- It was Anne’s chapter on highly sensitive people that got me hook, line, and sinker! I’m extremely extroverted but was perplexed by my introvert tendencies. When I read about the highly sensitive person, things finally clicked for me and started to understand why I felt this deep need for quiet at the end of the day!
- Anne’s shares about her favorite personality frameworks.
- Anne explains how knowing your own personality style, and that of others, helps you interact with them.
- We also discuss how to adapt to other personality styles.
- I loved hearing (and reading) about how knowing personality types has impacted Anne’s family.
- You can’t have a podcast interview with the host of “What Should I Read Next?” and not ask her what she’s what currently reading. We also talked about some of her all-time favorite books.
- I told Anne that I had a bunch of credits that I needed to use on Audible. So, we talked about good audio books. I now have several new books in my cue now. Thanks, Anne!
I wanted to open peoples’ eyes to how personality differences come together. — Anne Bogel (CLICK TO TWEEt)
Your personality is part of who you are, but it doesn’t in any way determine what you choose to do. — Anne Bogel (CLICK TO TWEET)
We assume the way we see the world is the way everyone else sees the world as well. — Anne Bogel (CLICK TO TWEET)
- Be sure to grab your FREE copy of my book, Sanity Savers for Moms, by joining our Simply Joyful community. It’s a great way to keep in touch…and get subscriber only freebies like my book. Click HERE to get the book and join!
Connect with Anne Bogel…
Anne Bogel is the creator of the popular blog Modern Mrs. Darcy and the podcast What Should I Read Next? Her popular book lists and reading guides have established Bogel as a tastemaker among readers, authors, and publishers. Bogel lives in Louisville, Kentucky.
Thank you, Rend Collectivefor allowing me to use your incredible song “The Joy of the Lord is My Strength”! This song has so much special meaning to me and it highlights the theme verse for my podcast — Nehemiah 8:10. Be sure to check out their music! They are such a fun band to listen to…and to see live.
(This podcast is by Kristi Clover. Discovered by Christian Podcast Central and our community — copyright is owned by the publisher, not Christian Podcast Central, and audio is streamed directly from their servers.)