The National Center for Science Education recently posted this job opening:
NCSE seeks a communications coordinator, who will be responsible for NCSE’s overall communications strategy, reporting to the executive director. Tasks include:
- Providing guidance for creation of journalist-oriented webpages; ensuring that web presence of NCSE is maximized for disseminating news and information.
- Interacting with other staff to identify newsworthy items being produced by NCSE staff, and to identify story angles to reach NCSE’s diverse audiences.
- Identifying and maintaining relations with key personnel in news rooms; interacting with other staff to mine current communications efforts and programs for news; providing background, news tips and illustrations when available to news rooms.
- Coordinating interviews for other staff and associates and providing media training when needed; developing a potential list of story leads and potential list of interviewees on various topics and in various geographical areas.
- Providing media assistance to various networks of citizens for science education across the country as appropriate.
Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, are necessary, as are a high degree of computer literacy and the ability to work cooperatively.
Three to five years of newsroom or media relations experience expected. Candidates must have at least a college degree; advanced degrees in the sciences, particularly biology and geology, or in the history and/or philosophy of science, and/or science education, are pluses. A record of involvement in or understanding of the creationism/evolution controversy, or church/state separation issues in general, is also a plus.
This is a full-time permanent position with medical, dental, and retirement benefits in Oakland, California, to start as soon as possible. Telecommuting is not an option. Travel and public speaking will be required. Salary range in mid-to-high 40s or higher commensurate with experience.
Send c.v., cover letter, three published clips, and the names of three references to NCSE, either by mail to NCSE, 420 40th Street, Suite 2, Oakland CA 94609-2509, by fax to (510) 601-7204, or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls, please. Materials must arrive by August 8, 2008, to be considered. NCSE is an equal opportunity employer.