It has been just over one month since the Newtown elementary school massacre and the NRA continues to use this tragedy as a fundraising tool. Instead of representing law abiding gun owners, the Washington gun lobby is using the Newtown massacre to raise money so they can keep doing the bidding of companies that profit off of selling dangerous weapons to anyone. We know, and responsible gun owners know, that you don’t need an AR-15 to protect your home. That type of gun and other semi-automatic weapons are designed to kill a lot of people quickly. Let’s cut through the rhetoric – we need to know who the key players are in this debate and what they want.
For the most effective arguments, do say:
- Preventing gun violence
- Gun violence prevention advocates
- Public safety laws
- “Stronger” gun laws
- Loophole-ridden laws
- Private sale loophole
- A criminal background check for every gun sale
- NRA lobbyists (instead of just ‘The NRA’)
- Gun control
- Gun control advocates
- “Stricter” gun laws
- Lax gun regulations
- Gun-show loophole
- The NRA now has a negative favorability rating, with 45% of voters — including nearly 60% of moderate voters — having an unfavorable view and only 40% of voters seeing it positively.
- Voters have never supported weaker gun laws — barely 10% of the electorate wants them.
- Nearly 90% of NRA members — actual gun owners — agree that support for Second Amendment rights goes hand in hand with keeping guns out of the hands of criminals.