The FaithWalker’s Daily is a quick review of key news stories of the day from the perspective of a conservative Christ-follower living in, but not of, the world.
Retailers Opening on Thanksgiving Triggering Protests
The Basics –
More retailers, including many WalMart stores are opening on Thanksgiving Day to try to capture the Black Friday shopping spree. The holiday extra hours are triggering complaints and protests from employees.
- This Fox News story notes that unions are trying to capitalize on the worker unrest created by the move. Key quote from employee: “It’s heartbreaking to miss the holiday with them [children], and it’s just one more way that Wal-Mart is showing its disregard for our families.”
- Insightful commentary from Jennifer Waters at WSJ Market Watch: “It makes sense then for retailers to just open the doors. They wouldn’t if we didn’t walk through them.”
- WSJ says Target shareholders have even joined the protest over “Black Friday Creep.”
A Few Thoughts…
As someone who was in retail for twelve years, including a few with Target management, I hate retail and holidays — so maybe I’m not the best person to give an opinion on this. However, Waters is correct: the stores are just giving people what they want. Some may wish that people reverenced Thanksgiving as a sacred day, set aside to give sincere thanks to God for our many blessings. Apparently, they don’t anymore. Or they think they can walk and chew gum at the same time. Multi-tasking Thanksgiving? Hmmm, there’s an idea. The reality is that people have a choice – if you don’t like it, work somewhere else or shop somewhere else. Somehow I don’t think that many people will have the courage to do either as we tend to worship our next paychecks.
Everyone’s a believer until it costs them something.
Nearly Half in US Believe Biblical Creation Timeline
The Basics –
A poll taken by Gallup this past summer shows that 46% of Americans believe that God created humans in their present form at one time in the last 10,000 years.
- Explore the survey results from Gallup here.
- Note: The survey shows Republican, Independent, and Democrats with very little difference in results.
- HT Hot Air as Marco Rubio was asked a question on this topic.
A Few Thoughts….
After decades of creationist theory not being permitted in US schools, I confess this result surprises me. Nevertheless, although it might be encouraging to some to note that so many Americans hold to what seems a Biblical account, there clearly is a disconnect between faith and life. That belief appears to have little connection with voting patterns or positions on other issues.
If it doesn’t change your life, do you really believe it?
Benghazi Investigation Focuses on Why and Who in the White House Changed the Story
The Basics –
Although many media commentators are trying to portray the Benghazi investigation as a witch hunt to take down UN Ambassador Susan Rice, Congress continues to rightly focus on why the White House (Obama) dropped the CIA references to Al Qaeda’s involvement in the Libya attack and mislead the American people.
- Jason Linkins at The Huffington Post claims it was ”a hothouse hunt for the scalp of U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice.”
- John Solomon at the Washington Guardian says the President knew about terrorist involvement for certain within 72 hours. HT Hot Air.
- Ed Morrissey sums up why this has always been about Obama: “We certainly have heard enough to conclude that Rice’s statement on several shows that there was ‘no evidence’ of a terrorist attack was flat-out false, regardless of whether the evidence was conclusive by the time she made those appearances. Solomon’s sources advance that part of the story by claiming that the PDB made a conclusive case that Benghazi at least two days before Obama sent Rice out to disseminate a false narrative. If those sources are accurate — and it’s worth pointing out that anonymous sources have told many conflicting tales in this scandal thus far — that puts Obama in a very bad position, especially since he personally extended that narrative in the US and at the UN in a speech that blamed ‘those who slander the Prophet of Islam’ for the violence.”
- Via RealClearPolitics: As the President said in his press conference last week, “Come after me.” Apparently, we’ll have to.
- The Independent (UK) says US knew in advance that the attack was coming.
A Few Thoughts…
Concerns about Benghazi have never been about a witch hunt for Susan Rice, or about Petraeus’ affair, or thousands of torrid e-mails — all just cover to obscure the truth. Benghazi has always been about whether or not we will permit our political leaders to lies to us and get away with it. Obama ran out the clock before the election with an assist from a willing media. If the Bible is to be believed, however, we live in a universe where sin does not stay hidden. The President lied. He has made it clear that he is responsible for the information that came out about the attack which blamed a video and edited CIA information about terrorist involvement. He is also responsble for the woeful lack of security in spite of warnings that violence was coming. So accept the consequences of that responsibility, Mr. President. You can’t have it both ways.
Leaders trying to hide mistakes can do dangerous things. Just ask King David.
Note: New e-mail subscribers to this blog in November are eligible for a drawing to receive a free copy of Os Guinness’ book A Free People’s Suicide.