The FaithWalker’s Daily is a quick review of key news stories of the day from the perspective of a conservative Christ-follower living in, but not of, the world.
Piers Morgan Calls for Bible to Be Amended
The Basics —
CNN host and outspoken supporter of stricter gun control legislation Piers Morgan called for the Bible to be amended to accommodate homosexual marriage in an interview with Rick Warren.
- Via Ed Morrissey at Hot Air: “His insistence on amending the Bible amuses more than it shocks, because it’s impossible to take Morgan seriously. He’s needling Rick Warren, nothing more, and attempting to provoke him into a heated exchange. Warren is simply smarter than Morgan, and takes a pass.”
- Another take from Mediate.
- Silly petitions to deport Piers Morgan.
- As long as we’re being silly, in related news, the Senate has taken up legislation to ban subway trains as yet another person is shoved in front of a train and killed. When will the senseless violence end?! [Just kidding about the Senate thing.]
A Few Thoughts…
It’s silly, but you’ll likely hear about it today. I bring this inane call up only to point out the level of intelligence we’re dealing with in these rabid calls for legislation to fix societal evils as if we have the authority to simply amend anything in this universe. Morrissey is, of course, correct, that anyone remotely familiar with the Bible and Christianity knows such a call to be ludicrous. Morgan obviously is not that well-informed about that which he criticizes. That might explain why he’s at CNN. If the Bible is what it claims to be, divinely revealed truth from our omnipotent Creator, it is we who must conform to it. “Your word, O LORD, is eternal; it stands firm in the heavens.” (Ps. 119:89)
All in favor of outlawing stupidity, say “Aye!”
Scientists to Check Newtown Shooter’s DNA for Evil Gene
The Basics —
In what is believed to be the first effort of its kind, scientists will be examining the DNA of the Newtown shooter to find mutations or abnormalities that might have contributed to his behavior.
- Via The Daily Mail: Key graph follows:
Beaudet, who is also the chairman of Baylor College of Medicine’s department of molecular and human genetics in Houston, Texas said geneticists should be doing this type of research because there are ‘some mutations that are known to be associated with at least aggressive behavior if not violent behavior.’
‘I don’t think any one of these mutations would explain all of (the mass shooters), but some of them would have mutations that might be causing both schizophrenia and related schizophrenia violent behavior,’ Beaudet said.
A Few Thoughts…
In fairness to the researchers, they don’t seem to be be setting their expectations all that high, but the greater problem remains. In the naturalistic and materialistic worldview that dominates much of science today, there is no room for a spiritual explanation. We have become convinced that genetics, even an insanity plea, somehow removes responsibility. We’ve seen that argument apply for those whose sexual orientation is allegedly due to genes. Even if a genetic predisposition could be proved, it wouldn’t change the moral responsibility to take the steps necessary to resist it – and to help that person. That being said, sin is not genetic, at least not in the physical DNA. That’s good news, because the solution to evil is freely available to all, regardless of genes. “For if, because of one man’s trespass, death reigned through that one man, much more will those who receive the abundance of grace and the free gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man Jesus Christ.” (Rom. 5:17)
Evil resides in our spiritual DNA.
Putin Shuts Down Russian Adoption, Restarts Cold War
The Basics —
dictator President Vladimir Putin signed a bill that stopped all adoptions of Russian children by US families, including those currently in process, in what appears to be retaliation for US comments on the Russian human rights record.
- Via Fox News: “UNICEF estimates that there are about 740,000 children without parental custody in Russia, while only 18,000 Russians are now waiting to adopt a child.”
- Putin claims the action was taken because a Russian child was adopted by Americans and then died in 2008 when trapped in a hot car for five hours. Involuntary manslaughter charges were filed.
- Via HuffPo: “The Russian-language hashtag ‘PutinEatsKids’ was trending on Twitter just minutes after Putin signed it.”
A Few Thoughts…
So let me get this right: something went tragically wrong in a rare instance after an adoption of a Russian child, and now authorities are rushing to pass laws to ensure it never happens again — in the process, trampling all over a greater moral responsibility of preserving a future full of freedom for thousands of Russian children? This sounds all too familiar. And sad. As a parent who would love to be permitted to adopt more children (because we have more than five already, few countries will permit it), my heart goes out to the children left to grow up with no parents. Kids shouldn’t be pawns in political battles. Not in Russia. And not in Newtown. “Let the little children come, for of such is the Kingdom of heaven.”
Mr. Putin, allow me to introduce you to, what we like to call, a millstone.
A Few More Stories You Might Hear About Today
- My series begins: 7 Steps to Safer Schools: A Principal Speaks
- General Norman Schwarzkopf of “Operation Desert Storm” dead at age 78. “While many career officers left military service embittered by Vietnam, Schwarzkopf was among those who opted to stay and help rebuild the tattered Army into a potent, modernized all-volunteer force.”
- President H. W. Bush’s health stabilizing in what aides are saying is “not the end game.” Some good news!
- Blogger publishes the names and addresses of New York Newspaper employees after paper published names and addresses of gun permit holders.
- Teachers in Israel carry guns as standard procedure to defend their students..
A Little Something to Grow Your Faith….
All worthwhile people have good thoughts, good ideas, and good intentions, but precious few of them ever translate those into action. ~ John Hancock
To receive The FaithWalker’s Daily in your in-box each morning, simply put your e-mail in the “Subscribe” box in the upper right.