Ever since it was first announced that there would be a fourth Terminator film, we have known that the company that owns the rights to this franchise was hoping that that film would become the first installment of a full-blown trilogy.
But it wasn’t until this week that they made it official and said that they are going ahead with the fifth film — even though the fourth film doesn’t come out for another five months.
Announcement was among the news that came out of the Dubai Intl. Film Festival, which bowed Dec. 11 and runs through Thursday.
McG was in Dubai for the announcement, despite his well-known fear of flying, which led to him dropping out of the Oz-shot “Superman Returns.” He mentioned that incident in remarks during the announcement.No decision has been made as to where to film the next “Terminator,” although the Middle East was mentioned as a locale.
When Anderson and Kubicek acquired the rights the lucrative “Terminator” franchise last year from previous owners C2, the former ad exec and banker envisaged the re-booted series as a trilogy. Christian Bale has signed on in the role of John Connor for all three roles. Newest pic is tentatively skedded for a 2011 release.
The duo had originally planned to wait until the release of “Terminator Salvation” next summer before deciding on whether to proceed with the next chapter, but the positive studio, fan and media reaction to footage from the current pic has encouraged them to move forward ahead of schedule.
“We feel the time is now to start shaping the next part of this,” Kubicek said.
Speaking of the footage that the fans are reacting to, here is the newest trailer, which came out a week ago: