I created this page specifically to catalog my dance-related interests, even though the main focus of this website is on my scholarship. Dance has become a pretty big part of my life. It’s a hobby, a way to stay in shape, a creative outlet, a way to connect with various communities and friends, and, more recently, a topic I’m researching as a scholar.
Catch me performing at:
- GenCon 2015 with Different Drummer Belly Dancers
- The Penrod Art Fair & International Festival in Indianapolis
If you’re interested in taking belly dance classes head over to the Indy Tribal website and click to explore:
Want to see an example of my research on dance? Click here to access my paper “Dancing the Numinous: Sacred and Spiritual Techniques of Contemporary American Belly Dancers,” published in the Journal of Ethnology and Folkloristics (woohoo open access scholarship!).
If you’re having trouble with the idea that it’s appropriate for an educator to also be a belly dancer, check out my blog post on stigma and sexiness.
There are a ton of belly dance styles out there, but in March 2012 I was certified in American Tribal Style® Belly Dance by taking the General Skills workshop with Carolena Nericcio of Fat Chance Belly Dance®. I also received my Teacher Training certificate, so I now have Sister Studio status. That means that if you want to study ATS®, you can do it with me! (email me with questions at email@example.com)
My affiliations include:
- Indy Tribal, the only American Tribal Style® troupe in Indianapolis! I’m the troupe director and founder, and I collaborate with local dancers as well as my dance students to put on fun, engaging performances. Like us on Facebook!
- Different Drummer Belly Dancers, a Bloomington-based tribal and tribal-fusion group. The main Different Drummer site lists upcoming events such as performances and workshops (check out my old bio page here).
- Circle & Spice, a performing/teaching duo that is now sadly defunct. Integrating juggling, hooping, dance, and other circus arts has been a creative challenge.
- Panache Dance, a wonderful, locally-owned studio in Bloomington, Indiana where I used to teach.