Today’s world is incredibly complicated. So much so that most of us are seeking ways to simplify our lives amid the blizzard of busyness.
The trick to simplifying your life is to look at what you do in a given month. Then analyze what needs to be done from what can be removed or trimmed back.
As an example, here are five ways that I’ve simplified my life in 2015.
Perhaps some of them will inspire you and ignite your own ideas.
After you going through them, feel free to share how you’ve simplified your life in the comments.
1. I am only speaking in 4 events a year. In the past, I used to accept the majority of the speaking invitations that came my way. So I was on the road at least once a month. Sometimes I would travel twice a month.
A few years ago, however, I became very choosy on which invitations I selected. Traveling so much just wasn’t the best use of my time. So I cut back to only 6 speaking events a year. This made my live appearances more special and valuable.
Next year, I will only travel and speak 4 times.
(That said, if you want to invite me to speak at your event, go to my Speaking page for details.)
2. I will begin blogging once a week. When I became intentional about being a professional blogger, I blogged 5 days a week. Then I dialed it back to 3 days a week. For the past year or so, I’ve posted two days a week here on Patheos.
3. I am turning my iPhone off more often. Up until last week, my phone would be on until the battery died. But now, I keep it off much of the day. I’m still connected online throughout the day, but I use a desktop or laptop for that. I use my phone mainly for calls.
4. I stopped using texting for conversations. I never liked using my phone for texting. It can be a time vampire and a productivity interrupter. So when I receive a text, I now ask the person to call or email me.
5. I cut down the podcasts I consume to only one. In addition, the courses I take are from the same person. I find so little out there today that’s unique, creative, and inspiring. It’s virtually all same-ole, same-ole. Since time is a limited resource, I only want to use it for the gold. By the way, if you’re looking for a podcast, here’s mine.
How have you simplified your life?