Banning the Pledge Altogether?

Student trustees at Orange Coast College decided to not say the Pledge of Allegiance at their meetings anymore. It doesn’t affect other groups or organizations on campus. They just won’t recite the Pledge at the trustees’ meetings.

While the “Under God” portion was part of the reason they made the decision not to say the Pledge, there was more to it than that. Trustee Jason Bell said,

“Loyalty ought to be something the government earns through performance, not through reciting a pledge.”

Well said.

At a recent meeting, one student voiced her opposition to the measure by “loudly reciting the pledge.” That same student said “she would attend every board meeting to salute the flag.”

Maybe she doesn’t understand that no one is trying to stop her from doing that. No one is disrespecting her. And if she feels so strongly about this, maybe she should have run for the trustee position so she could vote on this petty issue.

If anything, the trustees just saved fifteen seconds that could now be used for more important, relevant discussion.

It saddens me that of all the things these student leaders do that *actually* impact life on campus, the one that seems to draw the most attention is the one that affects no one but the trustees themselves and anyone who attends their meetings.

On a side note, Jason Bell (one of the elected trustees and an atheist) is now my entry in the Secular Coalition for America’s $1,000 contest to find the highest-ranking elected atheist in the country.

[tags]Pledge of Allegiance, Orange Coast College, Jason Bell, atheist, atheism, patriotism, Secular Coalition for America[/tags]