When I’m in hotel rooms, I never know what to do with the Gideon Bibles. Obviously the “normal” answer would be to do nothing– Just ignore it.
But since it’s there, I feel like I *need* to do something as an atheist.
I’ve known atheists who, at one time or another, have done the following:
- Take the Bible with them.
- Put it in the garbage can.
- Take the Bible with them to a different location and then put it in the garbage can (so the maids won’t just put it back in the drawer).
- Put a funny message in it, sign it “Love, God,” and give it to someone as a present.
- Put a warning label on it.
- Put a handout/list of the crazier passages in the Bible for future guests.
- Bring a copy of Charles Darwin’s The Origin of Species or the Constitution to place next to the Bible.
- Call the hotel in advance and tell them they don’t want a Bible in their room.
I’m sure a lot of people think this whole conversation is just plain stupid. And it very well might be.
But what is the proper thing to do with the Bible? If the consensus answer is to do nothing, I’ll abide by that.
Also, if someone does take the Gideon Bible, is it considered stealing?
[tags]atheist, atheism, Gideon Bible, God, Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species, Constitution[/tags]