The Christian Science Monitor article from a few days ago was apparently picked up by Yahoo! news. I went out early last night, went straight to bed when I came home, and woke up this morning to find 9023423409 emails from people who had various things to say. Let’s go through the comments…
I can send you proof of God… Do you have a mailing address…?
Umm… no. No mailing address. I live on the streets.
Since most atheists I know pride themselves on being very rational people… think about the fact that we supposedly only use 10% of our minds capacity. Is it possible that our God consciousness takes place somewhere in the remaining 90% where we can connect with God through our spirit once awakened to God on His terms?
Why is it that so many religious people never question what they hear? Why are they so gullible when it comes to claims that sound good but are simply wrong? It’s not true that we only use 10% of our brain. We use all of our brain, but we use a different part of it, and a different percentage of it, depending on the task. But on the whole, it’s not like we have 90% of our brain lying dormant.
Again, why do so many religious people not feel the need to question these things? Some do, but not a lot in my experience. At least atheists know how to critically think about these things.
Trying to get someone to prove Gods existenence is like trying to prove evolution.Thereis proof on both sides,and no clear winner.No one can convert another,it comes from within,and from God.
No, there’s a big difference. Evolution has this thing called evidence. We have records of transitional fossils. Evolutionary Biologists make predictions that have come true. Too many Christians have been saying for decades that Jesus is coming back… to no avail. You shouldn’t need to be “converted” to accept Science.
I was wondering, have you ever looked at The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints?
I’ve heard the backstory… have *you* ever looked at the church?
My mother was born in 1918 and raised as a Freethinker until age 20. Her mother was getting married to a catholic and had to convert in order to marry him so both my mother and uncle converted along with her. It never took with my mother. She later married my father who was also catholic and we four children were baptized and raised in the church. I never once saw my mother go into a church or mention the name Jesus or God. She never prayed (t least as far as I know). I just thought you might be interested to know there were ”mixed” marriages back in the 1930’s. I am catholic with an athestic bend.
I just read about you online. I was especially captured by your statement that it would take a miracle to make you believe in God (and Jesus). I am 41. Until October (2006) I had distanced myself from the church for about 20 years as I tried to live my life my way. The Lord drew me back with a series of miracles! If you pray in Jesus name you will see miracles in your life. First you must brainwash yourself with “blind faith” and block out any doubt. If you do, you will be seeking God and you will find him – you too will see many miracles!
Wow… he even used the word “brainwashed.” That’s a new approach…
I have looked over your website, and I have not found a treatment of the a question I find rather challenging yet deceptively simple; Why are you here?
Unfortunately you sold [your soul] on e-bay so it belongs to your friend the pastor. But if you buy it back from him maybe you can write back to me and I will try to coach you in a process of meditation that will take you to the next step of discovery of God.
I think you missed a part of the story…
Maybe God is tugging at your heart right now Mr. Hemant.
God Bless and hope to see you in heaven one day,
OK, here is how I will prove that God exists. You have to turn on your “radio” (because I can’t do it for you, I can only show you how). Take 10 minutes in your room or somewhere private and all you do is to call His name repeatedly like this > O LORD JESUS! You need to shout like you are at the bottom of the pit or like your house is on fire. You can even say O God, O Lord Jesus, if you really exist!!! show yourself to me!!! show yourself to me!!! Do this for 10 minutes.
After that for a comparison you can call out to someonelse that is already dead like Abraham Lincoln for another 10 minutes.
This is not a joke and I am seriously asking you or any atheists to test this out. I challenge you to compare the two sets of ten minutes and let me know if you felt any “radio waves”.
Umm… someone please let us know how this goes. (It would be hilarious if Marilyn Manson started playing as you called out to God…)
[tags]atheist, atheism, Christian Science Monitor, Jane Lampman, Yahoo!, God, evolution, transitional fossils, Biologist, Christian, science, The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints, Mormon, Catholic, Jesus, Abraham Lincoln, Marilyn Manson[/tags]