I often get great emails from Christians genuinely curious about atheism, or wanting to talk about some aspect of the book. They’re welcome and appreciated.
But then, I get other emails from Christians that just boggle my mind…
Some excerpts that are worth sharing:
- Lastly, 2+2 does not always equal 4.
- You are a punk. I am now praying for your book to tank… so quickly in fact, that you will HAVE to say it was GOD…
- Dear Sir, I saw you on television for just a moment. On Christian Television, and I saw your web page listed. The friendly atheist. I thought, oh he must be a Christian now. But as I see your web page, that does not seem to be the case.
- I am sure you don’t believe in Satan, But know that he is real, because I have gone through a period of spiritual warfare and Satan actually left a message on my answering machine.
- Did you know that actually a bumble bee technically can’t fly with the way it’s body is made? Only a Creator could have done that.
I asked the Satan person if she had saved the tape… or *69‘ed the caller. No response.
I prefer to read God’s word and know it to be true from life experience, I will not argue with you, I wish you the best in this life.
It’s not just the emails that surprise me.
Sometimes, Christian radio talk show hosts introduce me as if I’m some sort of phantom. What gets to me is where in the sentence they put the emphases:
- Today, we’ll bring you up close and personal with a real, live atheist!
- Our guest today is an atheist.
And when listeners call in with questions, you can bet there will be some good ones. Like the man who called in to one show to ask me, “If God doesn’t exist, why does everything always happen in threes?” (He then proceeded to give several examples. Like how there are three strikes in baseball for an out. Clearly, divine intervention.)
What are some of the best comments you’ve received from your website’s readers? (Or that someone said to you directly in regards to your beliefs?)
[tags]atheist, atheism, Christian, fundamentalist, God, Satan[/tags]
Stay in touch! Like Friendly Atheist on Facebook: