Institute for Humanist Studies is Hiring (and Seeking an Intern)

The Institute for Humanist Studies (IHS) is hiring a 20-hour per week editor for the Humanist Network News (HNN) e-zine:

Responsibilities include: writing original articles and editorials; assigning, soliciting, editing and copyediting news stories and columns; compiling letters to the editor section.

We are seeking candidates with news editing experience (campus newspapers OK). S/he must have demonstrated writing and editing skills, ability to research online, ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines. S/he must be computer literate, detail oriented and accurate, and have the ability to work independently. S/he must know or be willing to learn some basic html coding and Associated Press Style.

Prior knowledge of humanism is a plus; commitment to learning about humanism in order to cover humanist news is a must.

The HNN editor works from the IHS Humanist Center in downtown Albany, N.Y. Job hours between 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. are flexible during the work week, but Tuesdays and Wednesdays are required. This is an ideal job for freelancers, retirees, and anyone seeking fascinating part-time work.

For more information and to apply, go here.

Maybe writing isn’t your thing, but public policy is.

If you’re a graduate or undergraduate student in New York’s Capital District, consider this internship with IHS:

IHS seeks highly motivated students who wish to learn about the legislative process and how to lobby for humanism, a non-religious philosophy based on science, reason and compassion. Key issues include advocating for church/state separation, human rights, and scientific advancements.

Interns report directly to Jennifer Lange, IHS legislative liaison and registered lobbyist in New York state.

Intern duties include legislative and policy research, community outreach, and media relations assistance.

The successful internship candidate will be an effective writer, with basic computer skills, who is willing to perform diverse in-depth research and can work independently.

More information on that position is here.

Good luck!

[tags]atheist, atheism, Institute for Humanist Studies, Humanist Network News, job, editor, newspaper, humanism, Albany, New York, Capital District, Jennifer Lange, public policy, internship[/tags]