Why a rally?
Joe Zemecki, the Texas state director of American Atheists, states these goals:
- To speak out for the civil rights of non-religious Americans.
- To vocally promote the separation of government from religion.
- To show support for the Croft family in Carrollton who have sued over the moment of silence in their public school. (No matter how the case ends, or whether it’s over by then or not.)
- To protest the flurry of religious bills and now religious laws coming from our current Texas State Legislature.
The rally will take place on Saturday, September 8th, from 12:00 – 3:00 p.m. (local time) at the State Capitol Building (the corner of 11th St. and Congress Ave.) in Austin.Several groups will be represented at the rally, including:
- American Atheists
- The Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers
- The Freethinkers at the University of Texas at Arlington
- The Freethinkers Association of Central Texas
- The Rational Response Squad
So go! And then come back and tell us all about it.