A Russian cult had been living underground for the past six months (sans TV or radio) awaiting the end of the world.
Looks like most of them have given up on that idea. 21 out of 35 of them to be exact. They said they received a “sign from God” that they should leave the bunker: it began caving in.
Even though they’ve come out of the cave, “the group will remain in a so-called prayer house in the nearby village of Nikolskoye until Orthodox Easter, which is April 27…”
A girl as young as eight-years-old emerged from the cave, but a child who is under two-years-old still remains underground.
Why did they do this in the first place? Because Pyotr Kuznetsov, the cult leader (and “prophet”), said so:
Kuznetsov has been charged with setting up a religious organization associated with violence and officials later said they had seized literature that included what appeared to be extremist rhetoric. He had been confined to a psychiatric hospital since last November, but was brought [to the city of] Nikolskoye late last month to help in negotiations.
An engineer from a devout family, Kuznetsov, who goes by the title of Father Pyotr, declared himself a prophet several years ago. He left his family and established the True Russian Orthodox Church and recruited followers in Russia and Belarus.
Kuznetsov did not stay in the bunker with his followers. He said God had other plans for him…
Since this is a cult, they have to believe more crazy things, right? Of course:
The sect is an ultra-devout splinter group of the Russian Orthodox church. They reject processed food and say bar codes on products are the work of Satan.
Man, that’s a lot of crazy. It’s amazing what can happen when someone in a position of authority makes claims that go unchecked or uncriticized.
I just hope the people come out alive and healthy; maybe they’ll discover how deceptive their false prophet has been.
(Thanks to Paul for the link!)
Stay in touch! Like Friendly Atheist on Facebook: