I’ll just quote Wikipedia for a moment:
The Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) is a program allowing certain charitable organizations to solicit contributions from employees of the Federal Government of the United States.
The mission of the CFC is to promote and support philanthropy through a program that is employee focused, cost-efficient, and effective in providing all federal employees the opportunity to improve the quality of life for all.
It’s a painstakingly long and arduous process to get your organization listed as a CFC charity.
However, we now have the first explicitly non-theistic organization on the list:
Freedom From Religion Foundation, Inc. (Freedom from Religion Inc) (608)256-8900 www.ffrf.org EIN#391302520 Help our national association of freethinkers (atheists and agnostics), founded in 1978, to promote and defend the constitutional principle of separation between church and state. 7.3% R,B,Z
- 32519 = the five-digit CFC code
- 391302520 = the employer identification number
- 7.3% = FFRF’s administrative and fundraising expense rate (AFR)
- R = FFRF is a “Civil Rights, Social Action, Advocacy” organization
- B = FFRF is an “Educational Institutions & Related Activities” organization
- Z = FFRF is an “Other” organization
For many years, there were only religious groups on the list (in addition to altogether secular charities).
Finally, there is an alternative for federal employees.