James Dobson‘s Focus on the Family has put out a fictional letter written by a Christian from 2012 informing readers of the horrors that may happen if Barack Obama is elected president next week.
Here’s a partial list of their worries (PDF):
- Gay marriage is declared a Constitutional right.
- The Boy Scouts of America is forced to “hire homosexual scoutmasters and allow them to sleep in tents with young boys.” They choose to disband instead of following those orders.
- Gender identity is part of a mandatory curriculum for first graders, including the “goodness of homosexuality” as a potential personal choice.
- Christian schools are shut down because of anti-discrimination laws.
- Christian parents have trouble adopting children because of their “narrow” and “dangerous” views on religion.
- Same-sex couples working in your Christian-owned company must receive equal benefits.
- The Bible can no longer be preached over the airwaves because it is considered hate speech.
- Doctors who refuse to provide “artificial insemination for lesbian couples” will lose their licenses.
- Ditto with counselors who refuse to counsel same-sex couples, including those professionals who work in churches.
- Churches must allow gay weddings on their property or risk losing their tax-exempt status.
- Churches must not discriminate against gay people when they hire staff (with the exception of Senior Pastor).
- Gays are allowed in the military.
- High school students are not allowed to worship at the Pole or gather for Bible studies.
- College Christian groups are no longer allowed on university property.
- “Under God” is removed from the Pledge of Allegiance.
- Christian doctors and nurses are forced to participate in or perform abortion procedures.
- Sexual acts are allowed to be seen on TV all hours of the day. Porn magazines are visibly displayed on newsstands everywhere.
- Your right to own a gun is taken away.
- If you home-school your children, you must teach from a state-approved (non-Christian) curriculum. As a result, many Christian parents move to Australia and New Zealand.
- Our troops are withdrawn from Iraq (after which, terrorists take over the unprotected country).
- Illegal wiretapping is put to an end. Terrorist bombs go off in several American cities.
- We now have universal health care. This is bad, apparently.
- We go into a prolonged recession.
- The budget deficit skyrockets despite taxes on the wealthy (as if the budget was perfectly balanced before Obama).
- Christian publishers are no longer allowed to distribute books in major bookstores.
- Criminal and civil charges are filed against “nearly every
Bush administration official who had any involvement with the Iraq war.”
Of course, most of those are grossly exaggerated. Obama isn’t about to curtail the right to religious freedom. Some of those things could happen in a McCain administration (e.g. prolonged recession). Several are just flat-out wrong, designed to scare Christians who don’t have the ability to think beyond what Focus on the Family tells them.
Many items would be a welcome change from the bigoted, anti-gay, anti-privacy policies that have been a trademark of the current administration.
Let’s see more Christians challenging the ridiculous ideas presented in this piece of propaganda.
Dobson’s always been a joke. But this is a new low.