I’ll go more in depth later about the atheist gathering over the weekend. (As I write this, it’s late and I’m going to bed soon.)
But a few things I picked up:
- Now that atheist ads are on buses worldwide, our next goal is to take over the entire transportation industry. Planes, cars, scooters, etc. (Ok, no, but how awesome would it be to go on Atheist Airlines?!)
- There’s some amazing news and some depressing news that’ll make it’s way into the atheist blogosphere over the next week. It’s weird to have knowledge of things to come…
- While the idea of a Unity conference is still a great one, I don’t think much traction was made on it. It won’t happen for real unless participating groups decide to skip their own conferences for one year. That’s a hard decision for many to make. So for now, things hang in the balance.
- The meeting took place right next to the entrance to the FEMA building. I hope that wasn’t an omen of sorts.
- One number I heard: 3700(!) self-identified non-theistic people sent money to then-Senate Candidate Kay Hagan following the aftermath of Elizabeth Dole‘s anti-atheist bigotry. Go us!
In case you wanted a visual, here’s a glimpse of the gathering:
See?! Nothing at all like a meeting of the Springfield Republican Party on The Simpsons.