It comes from a non-mother, but Laci‘s advice for atheist parents is still worth hearing:
Her advice in a nutshell:
1. Raise children with a cultured understanding of world religions2. Explain your own viewpoint and WHY (danger of religion)
3. Make sure an array of resources/information are available. Encourage education!
4. Try to take unbiased stances.
5. When questioned, at any age
6. Answer…and answer honestly!
7. Encourage tolerance of diversity.
8. Engage children in conversations and encourage them to form their own opinions.
9. Speak like a peer about opinions. If you respect them, they will respect you.
10. Do not alienate…avoid dogma!
Anything you would add to the mix?