Phil Zuckerman is the author of Society Without God and the forthcoming book Faith No More: How and Why People Reject Religion.
In it, he listed (in no particular order) the Top 10 good things about being godless:
- Secularity is on the rise in the U.S. and throughout much of the world.
- Godless people and secular people are less sexist, less chauvinistic and much more supportive of women’s rights.
- We are more tolerant and accepting of others not like us.
- We are better educated and maybe even a little bit smarter.
- The godless are less homophobic.
- We are more moral and more ethical.
- Atheists experience and enjoy more oral sex than religious people do.
- We are better parents.
- When there are a lot of us in one place or one nation or one state or one group, the result is societal success and well being.
- We’re just better looking.
Obviously, some of those items are tongue-in-cheek, some are debatable, and some are very serious. Before commenting on any of them, check out how Zuckerman defends each item in the actual piece, since he goes into quite a bit of depth.