Last month, the board of directors of the Foundation Beyond Belief (including me) met in Chicago to discuss the future of the organization, both immediate and long-term.
One of the major issues we talked about was the number of charities we supported each quarter (10, including FBB) and how much money we were donating to them:
We’ve heard that it’s often hard for members to get familiar with our slate of ten charities each quarter before a new quarter is upon us. It’s also been hard for us to effectively tell the stories of so many great organizations in a three-month span. That makes deep engagement a real challenge.
We’ve also heard a desire to have a greater financial impact on each charity. Though we’ve increased our average grants from $1,200 to $3,300 since launch, we’d like to make an even bigger difference in the work of our beneficiaries.
So how do we fix those problems?
This is what we came up with:
Instead of 10 categories, we should merge certain ones together, condensing them into a total of 5. That allows for a better opportunity for members to get to know them. It also means we can double our impact financially.
Here’s the new breakdown starting next quarter:
Beginning Jan 1, 2012, our charitable giving program will feature five categories:
- THE NATURAL WORLD—organizations working to protect and preserve the environment, ecosystems, and the diversity of life on Earth;
- POVERTY and HEALTH—organizations improving the conditions of human life for those living on the margins;
- EDUCATION—organizations dedicated to improving access for all to the best of human knowledge;
- HUMAN RIGHTS—organizations working for a more equitable and just world;
- CHALLENGE THE GAP—non-proselytizing, progressive religious charities working for the common good.
We hope the new category change makes members happy. It’s not too late to join, donate, or give gift memberships! We’ve already raised over $217,000 for charity with your help — and now, those contributions will make an even stronger impact. As always, if you think some categories (and charities) are more deserving than others, you have the freedom to disperse your donations as you see fit.
I think the roster of charities we’re about to announce will excite a lot of people… so sign up now!