Scott Welty recently visited the Fermi National Laboratory (not far from Chicago) to sit in on a couple of presentations and he was shocked by what he saw: Actual science!
… here’s what I observed:
… I watched as each group looked very hard for ways their data could be WRONG. That’s right. That’s the real scientific method. You have a hypothesis, you collect data, it may be suggestive of the hypothesis but before you go there you check the 999 ways you could be wrong…
- Calm and logical presentations
- Polite and attentive audience
- An almost crushing critical eye on their own data (more on this)
- Respectively presenting results from the other detector and from the big machine at CERN without any high fiving or end zone dances (but that would have been kind of awesome).
- Questions being asked and answered without any shouting or interrupting.
Scott elaborates further on his observations at his site.
What a far cry from anything you’ll ever see Creationists do.