Scott Welty recently visited the Fermi National Laboratory (not far from Chicago) to sit in on a couple of presentations and he was shocked by what he saw: Actual science!
… here’s what I observed:
- Calm and logical presentations
- Polite and attentive audience
- An almost crushing critical eye on their own data (more on this)
- Respectively presenting results from the other detector and from the big machine at CERN without any high fiving or end zone dances (but that would have been kind of awesome).
- Questions being asked and answered without any shouting or interrupting.
… I watched as each group looked very hard for ways their data could be WRONG. That’s right. That’s the real scientific method. You have a hypothesis, you collect data, it may be suggestive of the hypothesis but before you go there you check the 999 ways you could be wrong…
Scott elaborates further on his observations at his site.
What a far cry from anything you’ll ever see Creationists do.