A three-year-old girl named Emily Thomas has had major health problems her whole life, but things got worse this month:
At 10 days old, baby Emily suffered a stroke as a result of an MRSA staph infection that spread to her blood. She was left legally blind, brain damaged and with cerebral palsy.
About two weeks ago, a common cold almost suffocated Emily. From their home in Tyler, Emily was flown by plane to Children’s Medical Center, where her mother has made a difficult decision.
A permanent tracheotomy — a hole in Emily’s neck — will give her the ability to breathe. But, the procedure to be done Tuesday afternoon will rob her of her voice.
So why am I posting about it?
Because I glanced at the comments on the news website…
At least the last one was made by someone with the good sense to thank the doctors.