Earlier today, the NCAA issued penalties against Penn State University… what caught my eye was this comment:
Instead, [NCAA president Mark] Emmert and NCAA executive committee chairman Dr. Edward J. Ray called for an immediate end to hero worship, the kind that led men in positions of authority to step out of Paterno’s way and comply to his wishes at the risk or innocent children.
Watching people complain about Joe Paterno‘s statue being taken down over the weekend, I was amazed at how anyone could defend him — but I guess people will defend their heroes at all costs. We know there’s a problem with blind faith — even moreso when it involves a human being and not an ideology. But maybe the severity of the penalties will open up some peoples’ eyes as to how terrible the crimes committed by Jerry Sandusky actually were.
If only there was an NCAA-like body to penalize the Catholic Church for its crimes against humanity…
- It would force a year-long ban on baptisms.
- It would force the Church to vacate every Confirmation done over the past three decades.
- It would hit the Church with a hundred-million-dollar fine.
- It would allow all current Catholics to transfer out of the Church without any hassle.
- It would place the Church on a five-year probation.
What other penalties would the Church get? If you’re on Twitter, feel free to chime in: #IfTheNCAARanTheCatholicChurch