Christians Should Know About the Secular Right, Says Writer

Bryan Roberts, writing for the magazine RELEVANT, tries to urge his fellow Christians to rise above the hyper-partisan discourse. Among his reminders to other Christians: “Those who argue over politics don’t love their country more than others” and “Thinking your party’s platform is unflawed is a mistake.”

Obviously, he has his target audience, but it was this bulletpoint that caught a lot of readers’ eyes:

1. Both political parties go to church.

There’s a Christian Left and, perhaps even less well-known, there’s a secular Right. Edwina Rogers is a Republican lobbyist and head of the Secular Coalition for America. She’s a Republican, and her entire job is devoted to keeping religion out of the U.S. government. Party lines are drawn in chalk, and they’re not hard to cross. The Church must be engaged in politics, but it must not be defined by the arbitrary lines in politics.

This is precisely why the Secular Coalition for America hired Rogers. She’s a stereotype-breaker who’s representing atheists in places we’re not used to being seen or heard: The offices of the GOP. I wouldn’t go so far as to say there’s a robust “secular Right” but there are Republicans who don’t believe in god and we’d be better off if more of them spoke up about it.

It’s nice that others are finally taking notice.

(Thanks to everyone for the link!)

"Tell them, "You can't walk through walls, you have to run.""

Students at “Christian Hogwarts” Suck Graves ..."
"A driver who starts praying? I'd panic, but for a more obvious reason."

Once Again, Bus Driving Pastor Won’t ..."
"Sure. I look for simple questions that lead to confused, complex answers."

Hasidic Sect Sees Rapist Rabbi as ..."
"Don't say that out loud, they might take it for a dare ;-)"

Pure Flix and Chill: A Fake ..."

Browse Our Archives

Follow Us!

What Are Your Thoughts?leave a comment